Entry requirements for your travel

Please take a few minutes to familiarise yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have them available when necessary.

Passport and VISA requirements

A passport is the only valid identification. For some destinations your passport must be valid for more than six months after you return to your home country. At check-in on board passports will be collected on board the vessel, in order to clear immigrations and customs. They will be kept throughout the whole voyage. We regret that we are unable to accept any liability if you are denied access to a flight or entry into a country or are otherwise affected by difficulties or costs resulting from your passport not being approved or if you have not obtained the required documentation. It is the responsibility of each passenger to ensure they comply with any visa travel document requirements at the time of travel. 

Personal Questionnaire

A Personal Questionnaire is needed for all our Norway Expeditions and Expedition Cruises' ship manifest: This includes all sailings on: MS Fram, MS Roald Amundsen, MS Nordstjernen, MS Fridtjof Nansen, MS Spitsbergen, MS Midnatsol, MS Maud, MS Otto Sverdrup, and MS Eirik Raude.
Note: The Personal Questionnaire is NOT needed for Norwegian Original cruises (even for cruises with MS Midnatsol, MS Otto Sverdrup and MS Spitsbergen).  

Please complete this form using CAPITAL letters and return it to Hurtigruten at your earliest convenience. This form must be received immediately by Hurtigruten at least 8 weeks prior to your voyage departure. Please note that we are unable to send your travel documents and we deny boarding our ships until we have received this completed form.

It is not necessary to print and sign the Personal Questionnaire before sending it back to us. Simply download the form below, fill it out digitally, and return to Hurtigruten by email:

Medical certificates

A Medical Certificate needs to be submitted by all passengers joining our voyages to the Antarctic Peninsula, South Georgia, the Northeast coast of Greenland, the Northwest Passage, Russia, as well as Labrador and Newfoundland, due to the remoteness of these areas.

Please complete the attached forms. The Medical Certificate is to be completed and approved by your personal physician not more than 8 weeks before your departure date. The completed forms must be presented to the ship’s doctor upon boarding. Boarding will be denied if part III of the Medical Certificate is not approved by your personal physician. Even if the forms have been duly submitted and approved by your personal physician, the ship’s doctor and the captain reserve the right to deny the boarding of guests who do not seem to be sufficiently fit for travel.

Please download and bring it on board: Download Medical Certificate

Vaccinations and viruses

Check with your General Practitioner regarding the recommended vaccinations for your travel to South and Central America. You should be up to date on routine vaccinations while traveling to any destination: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, and rabies. US citizens taking part in our Iguazu Falls post extension tour will visit Brazil. Yellow fever is a risk in certain parts of Brazil. Your GP can help you decide if this vaccine is right for you.

On some voyages vaccinations are required. All guests are responsible for ensuring they comply with any requirements at the time of travel. Please bring the vaccination certificate on your voyage as you will need this to enter certain countries. Check with your GP regarding the recommended vaccinations for travel to the destinations on your itinerary. You should be up to date on routine vaccinations while traveling to any destination. Yellow Fever is a risk in certain parts of South and Central America.

We must inform you that guests arriving from yellow fever transmission countries like Ecuador, Columbia, Peru and Panama, need a mandatory Yellow Fever certificate when entering Costa Rica, Panama or Columbia for our voyages listed below:

At time of publishing, yellow fever vaccination is required or recommended for the following voyages:



*On the following voyages, a vaccine against yellow fever is recommended

The vaccination must be done at least 10 days before departure. Please bring the vaccination certificate on your voyage as you will need this to enter certain countries. Country requirements are subject to change at any time. It is important for travelers to ensure that they know the requirements of the country to which they are travelling by checking with the relevant consulate or embassy. Zika virus is detected in South and Central America. Pregnant women or women that is trying to become pregnant should therefore consult with their doctor before travelling. For more information on travel health advice and destination information, please visit http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx and https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list/ 

A traveler who has a specific contraindication to yellow fever vaccine and who cannot avoid travel to a country requiring vaccination should request a waiver from a physician before embarking on travel. Travelers who arrive in a country that has a yellow fever vaccination entry requirement without proof of yellow fever vaccination or a medical waiver may be quarantined for up to 6 days, refused entry, or vaccinated on site. Our ships do not require a vaccination, but the port authority can check this. There is no guarantee that the authority will accept the letter of contraindication, but normally they do.


More information about Entry Requirements to Argentina can be found on the Argentinean embassy website.

Only the information given by the consulate of the country you are planning to visit is up-to-date, official and correct.

Brazilian Visas and Passports

Visas for Brazil are not required by all nationals of EU countries for stays of up to 90 days. Visas are required by nationals of Australia, Canada and the USA.

Tourist visa: cost varies according to nationality and is in some cases based on reciprocity. A tourist visa costs £108 for nationals of Australia, £72 for nationals of Canada and £144 for nationals of the USA.

To enter Brazil, a passport valid for at least six months from the date of entry is required by all nationals of Australia, Canada, USA, Britain and other European countries.

Please visit World Travel Guide for more information about Visas and Passports in Brazil.

Chile - Visa and Reciprocity Fee

For entering Chile, you will be provided with a small piece of paper –– tourist card that serves as a proof of tourists’ legal stay in the country up to 90 days. Please keep this in your passport during your entire stay in Chile as it must be returned to the immigration office when leaving the country. Also, a copy of the tourist card will be made at your hotel in Santiago. Failure to submit this card upon departure from Chile may result in delays until a replacement is obtained. If lost or stolen, the tourist card must be replaced by the International Police at their nearest headquarters or at the international airport prior to departure.

Australian citizens are required to pay a reciprocity fee (Chile Reciprocity Fee; approx. 117$) in cash or credit card upon arrival at the International Santiago Airport.

The entrance of products of vegetable, fruit, and animal origin; plants, herbariums, insectaries, handicraft, or exotic products is not permitted to Chile. A fine applies when entering products into the country illegally


Starting 15 March 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. However, when arriving by ship it is not be necessary for certain nationalities to obtain an eTA. The following link provides you with further information regarding eTA: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp 

Please check the website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp for more information and how you to apply for an eTA. The fee is ca. 7 Canadian Dollars (subject to change) and the which needs to be granted before flying to Canada. We regret we are unable to accept any liability if you are denied access to a flight, the ship, or entry into Canada, or are otherwise affected by difficulties or costs resulting from your passport not being approved, or if you have not obtained the required eTA, visa, or other documentation.

United States

Foreign travelers to the United States for short visits, for example tourism, vacation, visiting family and friends, or medical treatment, need visitor visas unless they qualify for entry under the Visa Waiver Program. All eligible international travelers who wish to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/). For more information see The US State Department (www.travel.state.gov/ ). Be aware that US entry requirements keep evolving as national security regulations change. All travelers should double-check current visa and passport regulations before travelling to the USA.

Russian Visa

For our sailings with MS Spitsbergen to Russia a visa per passenger is required:

For the application, you need a health insurance (incl. a visit to Russia) and a passport with validation minimum six months after the departure from Russia. You will receive the additionally necessary document (letter of invitation) for the application in good time prior to departure from us.

Please allocate enough time between booking the voyage and requesting the letter of invitation as some embassies require the original invitation letter and not a scanned copy.

We require your Russian Visa copy to be sent back to us latest eight weeks before voyage. Please consult with your travel agency or our customer sales department for additional information.

For this we kindly ask you to fill out the template and send it back to us:

Please note that we recommend to apply for a double-entry visa.

When you have all documents in place you have to apply and pay for the visa on your own. We recommend to use the website http://www.vfsglobal.com.
In case you prefer to take contact with a Russian embassy in your country you can find contact details on this website http://www.russianembassy.net

The costs for the visa will be per person (estimation):

Nordic guests: NOK 950
DE, FR guests: EUR 100
US guests: USD 160
UK guests: GBP 150


Back to Practical Information

Read more: