Rules for entry into Norway
For our cruises in Norway, the Norwegian Government updates the official coronavirus travel restrictions continuously. You can find the most recent information here
To protect other guests and our crew, we need to ensure that those boarding our ships are Covid-clean and free from any infections. It is important that you are able to truthfully confirm that you have no symptoms of Covid-19 before you can board our ships.
Norwegian Coastal Express
- You need to fill in a self-declaration form before you can travel with us. You must confirm that you don’t have any Covid-19 symptoms. Please look out for an email with this self-declaration form 24 hours before your departure. The form has fillable fields for you to type your responses in and can be returned to us by email. If you are not able to fill out the form digitally, there are paper copies available once you arrive at check-in. Please take care to fill in all the required information. We may have to exercise our right to refuse your embarkation where parts of the form are missing or incomplete.
- You will also need to confirm that you agree to comply with any relevant and current travel restrictions from the Norwegian authorities (for journeys starting and ending in Norway).
- Upon embarkation, you’ll go through a contactless fever scan to record your temperature.
- You must agree to being tested for Covid-19 at any time if your scan indicates a high temperature.
- If you’re vaccinated, please bring your official medical documents.
- Our medical crew can conduct rapid tests whenever needed, providing results in just 20 minutes. A Health and Safety officer and a nurse are working onboard all Norwegian Coastal sailings.
- Prior to departure, you’ll need to fill in a self-declaration form that confirms that you don’t have any Covid-19 symptoms. Please look out for an email with this self-declaration form 24 hours before your departure. The form has fillable fields for you to type your responses in and can be returned to us by email. If you are not able to fill out the form digitally, there are paper copies available once you arrive at check-in. Please take care to fill in all the required information. We may have to exercise our right to refuse your embarkation where parts of the form are missing or incomplete.
- You’ll also need a negative Covid-19 test result that is no older than 72 hours.
- If you’ve received the vaccine, please bring your official medical documents showing this.
- You will need to provide a Health declaration form. Please familiarise yourself with the required travel documents here
- As you board the boat, you’ll go through a contactless fever scanner to record your temperature. If your temperature is high, you must agree to a Covid-19 test.
- Our medical crew can conduct rapid tests, providing results in just 20 minutes. A full medical team is also always on standby in the ship’s hospital.
Embarkation and disembarkation
EXPAND TO SEE VIDEO. Whenever you board or go off the ship, we ask all, whether guest or crew, to take a number of precautions, such as the use of face coverings, forehead scans and thorough hand hygiene.
Norwegian Coastal Express
- When you board the ship, you’ll need to wear a face mask, go through a contactless fever scanner and use the disinfection station at the entrance to ensure that your hands are clean.
- If the fever scanner indicates a high temperature, our onboard nurse will conduct a rapid test to check if you have Covid-19. It only takes 20 minutes to get the test result.
- If you haven’t already sent us an e-mail with the self-declaration form, fill it in and hand it to the reception. Without filling in the form, you won’t be able to board the ship.
- Wear a face mask and keep 1 metre away from other passengers and crew members.
- You'll go through a contactless fever scanner at boarding. If the scanner indicates that you have a high temperature, our medical team will conduct a rapid test to check if you have Covid-19. It only takes 20 minutes to get the test result.
- If you’ve already had a covid-19 vaccine, please bring the official medical documentation showing this.
- If you haven’t already responded to the e-mail with the self-declaration form, fill it in and hand it to the reception. Without filling in the self-declaration form, you won’t be able to board the ship.
We have always followed the highest standards when it comes to cleaning our ships. These are even more enhanced with new cleaning protocols to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
Norwegian Coastal Express
- The latest scientific technologies are employed on all our ships to eliminate Covid-19. Cabins and public areas are disinfected by electrostatic spraying of BarrierTech, a disinfectant that has had a documented effect against the Covid-19 virus.
- All public areas are frequently disinfected with this solution, a method approved by the Norwegian Medicines Agency. The product provides long-term protection and is 99.999% effective against most bacteria and viruses. It’s a non-alcoholic, pH-neutral and non-flammable solution that is safe for you and the environment on our ships.
- We have strict cleaning routines and regular hygiene inspections.
- We also have external partners who’ll perform announced and unannounced inspections on all ships.
- In addition, we frequently check the heating, ventilation and Air Conditioning systems (HVAC) and monitor the quality of the drinking water to make sure that you stay safe on your voyage.
- The latest scientific technologies are employed on all our ships to eliminate Covid-19. In addition to thorough daily cleaning, all cabins are fully disinfected before you check-in.
- Cabins and public areas are disinfected using UV light and electrostatic spraying of Drysan Oxy from Ecolab. This sanitizer is certified by The German Society for the prevention of Virus Diseases (DVV), and is proven to eliminate Covid-19.
- We also use external partners to perform announced and unannounced inspections on all ships.
- In addition, we frequently check the heating, ventilation and Air Conditioning systems (HVAC) and monitor the quality of the drinking water to secure that you will be safe when sailing with us.
We have put down floor markings, increased in-cabin services, and adjusted how we operate so as to provide more socially distanced space for you when on board.
Face mask policy
Social distancing measures have been introduced on all our voyages. Our crew wear face masks or face shields in all public areas, when preparing meals in the galleys and when cleaning your cabin. Guests will also need to wear face masks in certain situations.
Guests will need to wear face masks during embarkation and disembarkation, in hallways, stairways, lecture halls and in the Science Center. In any other places that don’t allow for proper social distancing, use of a facial covering will be required.
We have placed floor markings throughout the ship to indicate recommended social distances, helping you keep a minimum of one meter from others.
Food and beverage
Enjoying the delicious food onboard is a big part of your experience sailing with us, so we’ve reorganized our restaurants to ensure that you’ll be able to stay safe while dining.
The Explorer Lounge/bar will be open until midnight. Alcohol will only be available for table-service.
Kysten Fine Dining restaurant will be open from 15 June
We offer more seating sessions for every meal so we’re able to maintain the recommended distance between tables, and we serve individual dishes instead of self-service buffets. If you’d like to eat in, you’ll need to book a table in advance through our reservation system.
We ask you to arrive for your meal at the agreed time to minimize queuing, and use the floor markings to keep a safe distance from other guests.
At the restaurant entrance, we’ll test your temperature with a contactless scanner, and you’ll also be required to use the disinfectant placed by the entrance before you enter the restaurant.
All purchases are registered on your touch-free cruise card to limit touch points.
Our kitchens follow the highest standards of hygiene and quality. All utensils, cutlery and crockery are cleaned and disinfected between uses, as well as all touch points like counters and doors.
We offer take-away for all meals if you prefer to eat in the privacy of your cabin. All menus are available through your smartphone, and you can then pick up your order in the restaurants. This service is available every day from 07 to 22.
When you’re on a nature landing, you’ll be able to walk freely within an area designated by your Expedition Team. You may remove your face mask as soon as you’re able to keep a safe distance from fellow passengers.
Landings in settlements where people live are conducted in close cooperation with the local authorities.
- You’ll be guided by our experienced Expedition Team and to ensure both your safety and that of the locals, you’ll need to stay in your designated group and wear a face mask at all times during your visit.
- No individual shopping or visits to coffee shops or restaurants will be possible.
- Face masks are also required when you are in the common areas of the ship and while in the tender boats.
- All pontoons, railings, tender boats and gear will be disinfected between each group.
- All personal tech equipment for activities is also washed and carefully disinfected after use.
We follow the strictest protocol to keep you safe. We’ll follow official guidelines and will adjust our policy to comply with the rules given by the local government where we visit.
Symptoms on board
It’s our responsibility to make sure that all our guests and crew members are protected against infections when travelling with us. Therefore, if you develop symptoms of Covid-19 during the cruise, please self-isolate in your cabin and alert us straight away by calling the reception.
Our medical team will come to your cabin to conduct a rapid Covid-19 test and you’ll receive your result in just 20 minutes. The sooner you inform us, the faster we can act to contain any possible spread.
If the test result is positive, we’ll immediately carry out the tracking and testing protocol in coordination with the local authorities. To prevent the virus from spreading to others, you’ll need to self-isolate in your cabin, and we’ll continue to do our utmost to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Rest assured that it’s impossible for a virus to spread through our ventilation systems.