Entry requirements for your travel

Please take a few minutes to familiarise yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have them available when necessary.

Passport and VISA requirements

A passport is the only valid identification. For some destinations your passport must be valid for more than six months after you return to your home country. At check-in on board passports will be collected on board the vessel, in order to clear immigrations and customs. They will be kept throughout the whole voyage. We regret that we are unable to accept any liability if you are denied access to a flight or entry into a country or are otherwise affected by difficulties or costs resulting from your passport not being approved or if you have not obtained the required documentation. It is the responsibility of each passenger to ensure they comply with any visa travel document requirements at the time of travel. 

Ship Manifest Information Form

A Ship Manifest Information Form is needed for all our Expedition Cruises. This includes all sailings on: MS Fram, MS Roald Amundsen, MS Nordstjernen, MS Fridtjof Nansen, MS Spitsbergen, MS Maud, MS Trollfjord and MS Otto Sverdrup.

Please complete this form using CAPITAL letters and return it to Hurtigruten Expeditions after confirming your booking. This form must be received immediately by Hurtigruten Expeditions at least 8 weeks prior to your cruise departure. Please note that we are unable to send your travel documents and we deny boarding our ships until we have received this completed form.

It is not necessary to print and sign the Ship Manifest Information Form before sending it back to us. Simply download the form below, fill it out digitally, and return to Hurtigruten Expeditions by email:


Self-declaration form & Health declaration form

This form will be sent to you 24 hours before the ship's departure. If you are not able to fill in the digital form, you will be given a self-declaration form at check in. 

You can also use the below link to fill out your Self-declaration form. To make sure all details are up to date, the form must not be completed any earlier than 24 hours before departure.


Expedition Cruises to Antarctica, Northwest Passage and Northeast Greenland also require a Health declaration form for boarding. 

Please complete the enclosed health declaration form. The Health declaration *must not be completed any earlier than 8 weeks before departure.*

The Health Form is currently being revised. Please check back at a later date for when the updated Health Form is available.

Last edited: 5/19/2020 11:04 AM

What we do on board to sail safer together

Vaccinations and viruses

Check with your General Practitioner regarding the recommended vaccinations for your travel to South and Central America. You should be up to date on routine vaccinations while traveling to any destination: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, and rabies. US citizens taking part in our Iguazu Falls post extension tour will visit Brazil. Yellow fever is a risk in certain parts of Brazil. Your GP can help you decide if this vaccine is right for you.

On some expedition cruises, vaccinations are required. All guests are responsible for ensuring they comply with any requirements at the time of travel. Please bring the vaccination certificate on your voyage as you will need this to enter certain countries. Check with your GP regarding the recommended vaccinations for travel to the destinations on your itinerary. You should be up to date on routine vaccinations while travelling to any destination. Yellow Fever is a risk in certain parts of South America and Central America.

We must inform you that guests arriving from yellow fever transmission countries like Ecuador, Columbia, Peru, Nicaragua and Panama, need a mandatory Yellow Fever certificate when entering Costa Rica, Panama or Columbia for our Expedition Cruises listed below:

At the time of publication, yellow fever vaccination is required or recommended for the following voyages:

The vaccination must be done at least 10 days before departure. Please bring the vaccination certificate on your voyage as you will need this to enter certain countries. Country requirements are subject to change at any time. It is important for travellers to ensure that they know the requirements of the country to which they are travelling by checking with the relevant consulate or embassy. Zika virus is detected in South and Central America. Pregnant women or women that are trying to become pregnant should therefore consult with their doctor before travelling. For more information on travel health advice and destination information, please visit http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx and https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list/ 

A traveler who has a specific contraindication to yellow fever vaccine and who cannot avoid travel to a country requiring a vaccination should request a waiver from a physician before embarking on travel. Travelers who arrive in a country that has a yellow fever vaccination entry requirement without proof of yellow fever vaccination or a medical waiver may be quarantined for up to 6 days, refused entry, or vaccinated on site. Our ships do not require a vaccination, but the port authority can check this. There is no guarantee that the authority will accept the letter of contraindication, but normally they do.


More information about Entry Requirements to Argentina can be found on the Argentinean embassy website.

Only the information given by the consulate of the country you are planning to visit is up-to-date, official and correct.

Brazilian Visas and Passports

Visas for Brazil are not required by all nationals of EU countries for stays of up to 90 days. Visas are required by nationals of Australia, Canada and the USA.

Tourist visa: cost varies according to nationality and is in some cases based on reciprocity. A tourist visa costs £108 for nationals of Australia, £72 for nationals of Canada and £144 for nationals of the USA.

To enter Brazil, a passport valid for at least six months from the date of entry is required by all nationals of Australia, Canada, USA, Britain and other European countries.

Please visit World Travel Guide for more information about Visas and Passports in Brazil.


For entering Chile, you will be provided with a small piece of paper –– tourist card that serves as a proof of tourists’ legal stay in the country up to 90 days. Please keep this in your passport during your entire stay in Chile as it must be returned to the immigration office when leaving the country. Also, a copy of the tourist card will be made at your hotel in Santiago. Failure to submit this card upon departure from Chile may result in delays until a replacement is obtained. If lost or stolen, the tourist card must be replaced by the International Police at their nearest headquarters or at the international airport prior to departure.

The entrance of products of vegetable, fruit, and animal origin; plants, herbariums, insectaries, handicraft, or exotic products is not permitted to Chile. A fine applies when entering products into the country illegally.


Starting 15 March 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. However, when arriving by ship it is not be necessary for certain nationalities to obtain an eTA. The following link provides you with further information regarding eTA: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp 

Please check the website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp for more information and how you to apply for an eTA. The fee is ca. 7 Canadian Dollars (subject to change) and the which needs to be granted before flying to Canada. We regret we are unable to accept any liability if you are denied access to a flight, the ship, or entry into Canada, or are otherwise affected by difficulties or costs resulting from your passport not being approved, or if you have not obtained the required eTA, visa, or other documentation.

United States

Foreign travelers to the United States for short visits, for example tourism, vacation, visiting family and friends, or medical treatment, need visitor visas unless they qualify for entry under the Visa Waiver Program. All eligible international travelers who wish to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/). For more information see The US State Department (www.travel.state.gov/ ). Be aware that US entry requirements keep evolving as national security regulations change. All travelers should double-check current visa and passport regulations before travelling to the USA.