Spitsbergen & Polar Bears – an Arctic Adventure (Monday-Saturday)
Duration: 6 days
1390 € per person
- Chance of seeing polar bears
- Cross 80° N and come ashore to explore the Arctic wilderness
- Experience the Midnight Sun (until 23. August), giving you 24 hours of daylight to discover Svalbard
- Explore magnificent Arctic scenery and fjords with the nostalgic MS Nordstjernen
Your adventure starts with an overnight stay in Longyearbyen, a surprisingly cosmopolitan frontier town on the edge of the Arctic, with galleries, pubs, restaurants, and shops.
The package includes an overnight at Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, the world’s northernmost full-service hotel when booking a cabin with private facilities on board MS Nordstjernen. If you have booked a cabin with shared facilities, an overnight at charming Coal Miners’ Cabins is included. Hotel upgrade is available on request.
After breakfast, join a tour of Longyearbyen that includes the Svalbard Museum and Camp Barentz. Once aboard MS Nordstjernen, we sail to the Russian coal mining town of Barentsburg to explore the exotic collection of Russian artefacts and architecture, join a folklore show or soak up the real Russian atmosphere in the local pub.
This area is rich with islands, fjords and beaches. In Magdalenefjord, you’ll discover a whaling station from the 16th century. We arrive in the morning and hope to make a landing to explore this wonderful Arctic wilderness. Scan for polar bears, Minke whales and seals.
We will spend most of the day cruising into lovely Krossfjord. The landscape here varies from large tundra plains to alpine peaks with dramatic glaciers tumbling into the ocean. At the end of the fjord is the majestic Kongsbreen (King’s Glacier). Later, we dock at Ny-Ålesund, one of the world’s northernmost communities.
Next, we sail the Isfjorden, the most prominent fjord system on Svalbard, passing the nesting sites of thousands of guillemots. Marvel at the large U-shaped valleys, carved out of the mountains by the giant glaciers. After disembarkation in Longyearbyen, enjoy the day before a Farewell dinner at the hotel.
This Arctic adventure ends in Longyearbyen. An early morning transfer bus will take you to the airport for your flight home.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice on a full board basis
- Transfer airport to hotel in Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the voyage including breakfast: Radisson Blu Polar Hotel. If you have booked a cabin with shared facilities (D or E), your hotel is Coal Miners’ Cabins
- 3 hours Sightseeing in Longyearbyen incl. Museum and Camp Barentz, ending at the pier
- Transfer ship to hotel in Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen after the voyage incl. light lunch, dinner and early morning snack
- Transfer hotel to airport in Longyearbyen
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich programme of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Loan of trekking poles and thermal suits for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Small destination-focused onboard library
- A Farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
|Shipyard||Blohm & Voss|
MS Nordstjernen is named after the North Star or Stella Polaris, famous for helping seafarers find their way back home and the Vikings to navigate the north.