Svalbard – In the Realm of the Polar Bear
Duration: 10 days
- Great chance of sighting polar bears
- See the Midnight Sun in untouched Arctic wilderness
- Explore Svalbard´s beautiful West Coast
- Discover historic places and untouched nature
Before your evening flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen, spend the day in the museums, parks and cafes of the Norwegian capital. When you arrive in Svalbard, you will discover an entirely different world: a tiny town perched on the edge of the vast Arctic tundra.
On arrival, we transfer you to your hotel for an overnight.
Join an exciting excursion after lunch to get to know this frontier town. The mighty Arctic wilderness dominates life here, but Longyearbyen maintains a lively cultural life, and is considered a prime destination for adventure travelers from around the world. Enjoy the unique atmosphere of this colourful outpost before boarding your ship, MS Spitsbergen.
Spitsbergen´s North West Corner is scattered with rugged islands, beautiful fjords and isolated beaches.
This is true wilderness, so the Captain will work with the elements to create the best itinerary for your expedition cruise.
We hope to visit Kongsfjorden, one of the most beautiful fjord areas in Spitsbergen, with mighty glaciers calving icebergs into the sea, framed by stunning mountain formations. Another possibility is Ny-Ålesund, an international centre for research, that hosts a picturesque mix of old and new buildings.
Perhaps we will call on the Magdalenafjorden and Gravneset areas, where the hardy may have a chance to swim and earn a rare Arctic swimming certificate. Wherever we explore, the Expedition Team will offer great chances to join in landings, ice-cruising and more.
We explore the Isfjord, the most prominent fjord system on Svalbard to take in immense valleys, carved out of the mountains by the giant glaciers that covered the area some ten thousand years ago. Scan for the rich population of Svalbard reindeer here.
As we arrive back in Longyearbyen after our far north exploration, enjoy the stunning scenery of the icescape that lies just a few hundred miles from the Geographic North Pole. Transfer to the airport for your night flight. Arrival early in the morning in Oslo.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Return economy flights between Oslo and Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the voyage including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen including an excursion before the voyage
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyagesdesigned to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
|Year of refurbishment||2016|
|Shipyard||Estaleiro Navais de Viana do Castelo (POR)|
MS Spitsbergen will take you on a voyage beyond the ordinary. She cruises along the Norwegian coast from September to May, and becomes part of our global Expedition sailings during the rest of the year.