Join this expedition to four Latin American countries southbound from Costa Rica to Chile, uncovering ancient pyramids, exceptionally beautiful national reserves, and delicious local delicacies. Along your voyage you will visit cities in Ecuador and Peru to experience beautiful beaches and UNESCO sites. Your adventure continues in Lake Titicaca where you’ll explore the communities that live on its scenic shores, including the Uru people and their floating islands.
Our small ships mean we can take you to where larger ships can’t, giving you a mix of places to explore, from cities to remote islands. At times, due to weather, we may need to change or cancel our plan for that day. Rest assured that this is all part of what it is to be on an authentic adventure in this exotic region.
Paradises in Costa Rica, Panama, and Ecuador
From Puntarenas we’ll journey to Quepos and Golfito, two ports that give access to nearby Costa Rican national parks full of scenic habitats and animal life such as toucans, iguana, sloths, monkeys and a range of seabirds. We stop at Manta to visit Montecristi, where classic Panama hats were invented and still handmade to this day. And while in Puerto Bolivar we learn about the historical importance of the oro verde for the local economy.
First call in Peru will be at Salaverry, where you can tour the ancient temple and city ruins around Trujillo. Then we head to colonial Lima, a UNESCO capital with a sumptuous cuisine offer.
Lake Titicaca and the floating islands
After waving bye to the ship and crew in Lima, you’ll fly to Juliaca to explore Lake Titicaca and its surrounding highlights. Visit the Uru people who live on self-constructed floating islands made from buoyant reeds, go kayaking along the sandy beaches of the peninsula at Llachón or horseriding with locals in the colonial-era town of Chucuito. You’ll also see the mystical ‘Gate of the Gods’ at Aramu Muru and the pre-Incan tombs of Sillustani.
Day 1Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Beginning of your exotic expedition
Day 2Quepos, Costa Rica
Costa Rica’s favourite paradise
Day 3Golfito, Costa Rica
From Bananas to Bargains
Day 4At Sea
Serenity at sea
Day 5Manta, Ecuador
Sea, sand, surf… and tuna?
Day 6Puerto Bolivar (Machala), Ecuador
Growing green gold
Day 7At Sea
At your leisure
Day 8Salaverry / Trujillo, Peru
An archaeologist’s dream
Towards Lake Titicaca
Uros Floating Islands and Kayaking at Llachón
Chucuito, mystical Amaru Muro and Sillustani
‘The City of Kings’
Included in your voyage
Expedition Lake Titicaca/Peru after the cruise
- Two nights at GHL Puno Hotel, including half board
- One night in Lima, including breakfast
- Two 3-course set lunch and picnic lunch
- Return economy flight Lima-Juliaca-Lima
- All transfers and train rides as described, including English-speaking guide
- Entrance fee as listed in programme
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included activities
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science programme allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, infinity pool, panoramic sauna, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the onboard wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please make sure you meet all entry and boarding requirements
- No gratuities expected
- The land programme in Peru takes place at high altitudes (the Lake Titicaca´s altitude is around 3,800 metres) and may require a certain level of physical fitness.
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Passenger capacity||528 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom built ships – and the next generation expedition ship. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.