Chile, Peru – Expedition Along the South American Coast
Duration: 14 days
Ship: MS Roald Amundsen
4 April 2020
Price from: 3790 € per personCheck prices and availability
- Discover the best of South America´s Pacific Coast
- Experience three countries on one expedition cruise
- Explore fascinating archaeological sites and long-lost
- Visit famed UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Chile and Peru
- Day 1 Valparaíso, Chile - Embarkation
- Day 2 Valparaíso, Chile
- Day 3 Coquimbo, Chile
- Day 4 Humboldt Penguin National Reserve, Chile
- Day 5 At Sea
- Day 6 Iquique, Chile
- Day 7 Arica, Chile
- Day 8 Matarani, Peru
- Day 9 At Sea
- Day 10 Paracas, Peru
- Day 11 Callao / Lima, Peru
- Day 12 Salaverry, Peru
- Day 13 At Sea
- Day 14 Guayaquil, Ecuador - Disembarkation
Our voyage starts in Valparaíso in central Chile, one of South America´s most important seaports. The city´s unique charm is protected as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Valparaíso´s quirky charm has attracted many artists. Follow their footsteps on the different cerros (hills) with their street art and escaleras (stairways). Enjoy a full day to discover the highlights of Valparaiso before we set sail in the evening.
This town has a beautifully restored historic centre; the Barrio Inglés. Visit the fish market and the nearby Herradura beach. You may also spend some time in the charming nearby seaside town of La Serana or join one of the optional excursions that venture inland to the beautiful Elqui Valley.
The Humboldt Penguin National Reserve is the home to sea lions, sea otters, Humboldt penguins and a great variety of sea birds. If conditions allow, we will approach one of the islands with small boats, observing its wildlife from safe and non-disturbing distance.
Enjoy a day at sea! Our Expedition Team continues its lecture programme, sharing their extensive knowledge and experience, as well as summarising the voyage so far and presenting plans for the exciting days ahead.
Stroll between palm trees on the beachfront boardwalk of Iquique, watch surfers ride waves and enjoy the Georgian-style architecture. Another great option is to join an excursion to the Atacama Desert and the UNESCO site of Humberstone.
We will spend a full day in balmy Arica. History, archaeology, and adventure are waiting on shore. Explore the city, walk up the El Morro cliff to get a panoramic view, stroll the beaches or visit the archaeological sites with some of the world's oldest known mummies.
Matarani is a gateway to the historic centre of Arequipa, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Arequipa is also known as the `White City´, as white volcanic rock has been used to create its many impressive buildings. Enjoy the charm and beauty of this colonial gem, surrounded by snow-capped volcanic peaks.
Spend time on deck and enjoy the serenity of a sea day. Our experienced lecturers share their extensive knowledge and lead you on deck to help spot marine wildlife and sea birds.
Paracas is the gateway to the quiet colonial town of Pisco and its fertile coastal valley, home to the famous and mysterious Nazca lines and geoglyphs. These lines were scratched on the surface of the ground between 500 B.C. and 500 A.D.
We will dock in the seaside city Callao, approx. 15 km from the historic centre of Lima, the capital of Peru. Discover the so-called “City of Kings” and its historic heart, Plaza de Armas. Lima´s historic district was awarded UNESCO World Heritage status in 1988.
Next is the port of Salaverry, the starting point for our optional excursion to the ruins of the ancient Chimu kingdom (700-1400 A.D.). The city of Chan Chan (`Sun Sun´) is considered the largest mud-brick citadel of the Americas in pre-Hispanic times and was listed as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site in 1986.
Enjoy your last sea day and spend it at your leisure. Take advantage of the many onboard facilities, relax, or join in on lectures as we recap our voyage.
Welcome to Ecuador! Colonial Guayaquil was founded in 1538. The town quickly became the largest shipyard in South America, often finding itself under siege by pirates. We recommend extending your adventure by adding a Post-Programme to mystic Machu Picchu or the amazing Galapagos Islands.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich programme of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
MS Roald Amundsen
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Santiago & Valparaiso: Pre-programme
Santiago de Chile - Pre-excursion: The Best of Santiago de Chile 20/21
Guayaquil - Post-Programme Machu Picchu 20/21
Guayaquil - Post-programme Galápagos Islands 20/21
Guayaquil: Post-programme (20/21)
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Roald Amundsen
- Meet our Expedition Teams
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board