Your ship MS Fram awaits you in the seaport of Valparaíso in central Chile. Built on steep hillsides overlooking the ocean, the UNESCO-protected city is a maze of monuments, churches, historical funicular lifts, cobblestone alleys and charming plazas. Arrive early and explore more of ‘Valpo’ or join our Pre-Programme to the Atacama Desert.
La Serena is Chile’s second-oldest city, blessed with beautiful sandy beaches along Avenida del Mar. Stroll through manicured public gardens or shop for arts and crafts at Recova Market. The city’s many churches can be distinguished by their different styles of belfries, giving rise to La Serena’s nickname as ‘The City of Church Belfries’.
A Visit to Tabali WineryEnjoy a full day of beautiful sites in Limarí Valley. We visit the Enchanted Valley, located 19 kilometres southwest of Ovalle, before we take you to the Tabali Winery for a guided tour and some wine tasting.
Alfa Aldea ObservatoryEnjoy a personalized astronomical tour to a family-run observatory. This is an open-air event, as it takes place under the star-filled sky. You will be divided into small groups, which means plenty of telescope time for everyone.
Coquimbo - Elqui ValleyDiscover the splendid beauty and history of northern Chile during this memorable, half-day sightseeing tour of Vicuña and the Elqui Valley.
Rarely visited by tourists, this is a more traditional Chilean city with no high rise buildings. Next door is Pan de Azucar National Park, a coastal desert home to animals such as the marine otter, South American sea lion, and Peruvian pelican. Nearby Isla Pan dé Azúcar is a breeding ground for Humbolt penguins, which we hope to observe from the ship.
Antofagasta has grown into Chile’s third largest city, earning its credit as ‘The Pearl of the North’. Sit back in the old-fashioned plaza or admire the Victorian and Georgian buildings of Barrio Histórico. Join an optional excursion to see La Portada, a natural white arch off the coast, or visit one of the small fishing towns.
Welcome to a slice of paradise by the Pacific, complete with palm trees and promenades. Walk along the beachfront boardwalk, shop in the duty-free zone, or sip on traditional mango sours in the many restaurants and chic cafés. We also offer excursions to the Atacama Desert and the UNESCO-listed ghost town of Humberstone.
IncludedIquique - Humberstone and Santa LauraDiscover the nitrate ghost towns of Santa Laura and Humberstone in the Atacama desert.
Iquique - Oasis, Pica, and MatillaWe leave the pier and start our drive to Humberstone, a former nitrate town. Along the way, we ascend to the top of a 600 m high cliff and enjoy a magnificent panoramic view of Iquique, the surrounding coastal region and its beautiful beaches and Cerro Dragon (Dragon Hill).
Iquique - Iquique City TourEnjoy a leisurely excursion through this lovely, adventurous yet cosmopolitan, 19th century city known once as the world's nitrate capital.
Spend time on deck and enjoy the serenity of sea days. Our experienced lecturers share their extensive knowledge and lead you on deck to help spot marine wildlife and sea birds.
We dock in Callao and travel a short distance to Lima, Peru’s vibrant capital. From Plaza Mayor, stroll around the UNESCO-listed Historic Center, admiring the architecture of colonial cathedrals and Baroque buildings. Whether walking the spacious parks or enjoying top cuisine, you’ll understand why the city was once known as ‘The City of Kings’.
IncludedCallao - Scenic city tour of LimaAn overview of Peru’s famous city Lima visiting parks, trendy neighbourhoods, the beautiful Cathedral of Lima and UNESCO World Heritage site, Plaza Mayor.
Discovering the Palomino IslandsSpot wildlife and learn about local history and culture on an excursion by boat!
Grand Tour of LimaExplore the sights and sounds of the Peruvian city of Lima.
Callao - Pachacamac, Larco Museum & Paso HorsesEnter an ancient world that continually fascinates as over 3,000 years of Peru's pre-Columbian history unfold before us.
Next is the port of Salaverry, the starting point for two optional excursions. Visit the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site of Chan Chan (`Sun Sun´) to see the mud-brick ruins of the ancient Chimú kingdom. Or tour the Mochican temples of the Sun and Moon, the former being the largest adobe pyramid in Peru.
Enjoy your last sea day and spend it at your leisure. Take advantage of the many onboard facilities, relax, or join in on lectures as we recap our voyage.
Your journey ends in this sprawling city, the largest in Ecuador. High-rise buildings line the Guayas river while colourful favelas blanket the hillsides. Visit Malecón 2000, the riverfront town square before posing with tame iganuas in the local park. Extend your adventure by adding a Post-Programme to mystic Machu Picchu or the amazing Galápagos Islands.
Included in your voyage
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurant Aune
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrømincluded for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Centerwhich has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science programme allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, panoramic sauna, indoor gym
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- All planned activities are subject to weather conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Passenger capacity||318 (200 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||11 647 T|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram brings on the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology to make her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in Polar Regions.
Some expedition cruises include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Coquimbo (La Serena) - A Visit to Tabali Winery
Coquimbo (La Serena) - Alfa Aldea Observatory
Coquimbo - Elqui Valley
Iquique - Humberstone and Santa Laura
Iquique - Oasis, Pica, and Matilla
Iquique - Iquique City Tour
Callao - Scenic city tour of Lima
Callao - Discovering the Palomino Islands
Callao - Grand Tour of Lima
Callao - Pachacamac, Larco Museum & Paso Horses
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.