Andean Coast – Expedition from Jungle to Desert
Duration: 17 days
Ship: MS Fram
8 October 2020
Price from: 4891 € per personCheck prices and availability
- Explore the best of Central and South America on an expedition cruise to remember
- Transit the legendary Panama Canal
- Chance to discover fascinating archaeological sites such as Chan-Chan and the Nazca Lines
- Experience rich wildlife above and below the water
- Day 1 San José, Costa Rica - Embarkation
- Day 2 San José / Puerto Limón, Costa Rica
- Day 3 Bocas del Toro, Panama
- Day 4 Panama Canal
- Day 5-6 At sea
- Day 7 Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Day 8 At sea
- Day 9 Salaverry, Peru
- Day 10 Callao / Lima, Peru
- Day 11 Paracas, Peru
- Day 12 At sea
- Day 13 Arica, Chile
- Day 14-15 At sea
- Day 16 La Serena, Chile
- Day 17 Valparaíso, Chile - Disembarkation
After your arrival in the Costa Rican capital, San José, stroll the streets and discover the neo-classical grandeur of this unique Central American metropolis.
We recommend enhancing your stay by adding a Pre-Programme to the impressive Manual Antonio National Park.
We head towards the Caribbean coast on a boat tour along the canals of Tortuguero, before we embark on MS Fram in Puerto Limón, one of the oldest cities on the continent. The port was established in 1502 when Christopher Columbus landed here during his exploration of the New World.
We begin our journey along the Caribbean coast of Panama, setting our course for Bocas del Toro, an archipelago of islands, cays, and thousands of islets.
Bocas is brimming with sandy beaches and is called the `Galápagos of the Caribbean´. Bocas is also one of the most biologically diverse places on earth.
We enter the Panama Canal near the city of Colón. Experience the thrill of canal transit and the intricacy of the locks system firsthand, as MS Fram is lifted more than 26 metres (85 ft) above sea level, from one body of water to the next. We enter the Pacific Ocean near the town of Balboa.
Spend time on deck fully enjoying the serenity of sea days. Listen in as our experienced lecturers share their extensive knowledge and meet our Expedition Team outside on deck to spot marine wildlife and sea birds. As we are crossing the Equator, we need to ask King Neptun for approval and invite him onboard. Join us for a proper baptism!
Welcome to Ecuador! Guayaquil was founded in 1538 and quickly became the largest shipyard in South America, often being attacked by pirates. Stroll through the historic centre with parks and colonial mansions, visit the Mercado Artesanal, the largest artisan market in the city or walk along the riverfront at Malecon 2000.
Our Expedition Team continues its lecture programme, sharing their extensive knowledge and experience, as well as summarizing the voyage so far and letting you know about plans for the exciting days ahead.
The small port of Salaverry is the starting point for the optional excursion to the ancient Chimu kingdom (700-1400 A.D.). The ancient city of Chan Chan (Sun- Sun) is considered the largest mud-brick citadel of the Americas in pre-Hispanic times and was listed as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site in 1986.
We will be docked in the seaside city Callao, which is located approx. 15 km from the historic centre of Lima, the capital of Peru. Discover the so-called “City of Kings” and stand in its historic heart, Plaza de Armas, were Francisco Pizarro founded the city in 1535. The historic center of Lima was awarded UNESCO World Heritage status in 1988.
Paracas is the gateway to the quiet colonial town of Pisco and its fertile coastal valley with the famous and mysterious Nazca lines and geoglyphs. These lines were scratched on the surface of the ground between 500 B.C. and 500 A.D.
Join the Expedition Team for interesting lectures, learn the basics of expedition photography, and spend time out on deck enjoying the fresh salt air as you scout for wildlife.
Arica is blessed with a warm climate all year round, and we will spend a full day here. History, archaeology, and adventure are waiting on shore. Explore the city, walk up the El Morro cliff to get a panoramic view, see the beaches or visit the archaeological sites with some of the world's oldest known mummies.
Enjoy two peaceful days at sea as we make our way south to Valparaíso. The Expedition Team recaps our voyage, continues their lecture programme.
La Serena, a seaside town, is one of the oldest cities in Chile. The town is overflowing with colorful gardens and beautiful churches. In the Archaeological Museum, you can learn about the ancient Diaguita culture that thrived here before the Incan conquest.
Our expedition ends in the wonderful, colourful and poetic city of Valparaíso. After disembarking MS Fram, take some time to stroll the UNESCO-listed Historic Quarter, or ride a funicular to one of the many hilltops for a citywide panorama.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in San José before the voyage4 including breakfast
- Transfer from hotel to ship in Puerto Limon including lunch and excursion
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich programme of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A Farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram brings on the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology to make her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in Polar Regions.