What to pack for your cruise to the Northwest Passage
In addition to your ordinary packing list, we recommend a few items for your expedition to the high Arctic.
Climate in the Northwest Passage
Climate and temperatures
We travel through the Northwest Passage in summer. The High Arctic summer can have temperatures as low as 5° C (41° F), but can also reach mid to high 20° C (68° F).
High Arctic summer days
Being this far north in summer means days are long. Daylight lasts from about 20 hours per day at the beginning of August to 12 hours by the end of September.
How should you dress?
Wearing clothes in layers is the best way to dress. We advise bringing light jumpers, a woollen jumper, warm socks, a scarf, mountain/winter boots, warm and waterproof trousers, a jacket, a woollen hat, and gloves. When going ashore, mosquito repellent might also be handy.
Packing list for the Northwest Passage
In addition to your “ordinary” packing list (toiletries and necessary basic clothes), we recommend these items for your expedition:
- A pair of casual shoes for use onboard
- Camera equipment and a memory card with a large capacity. Check if you need an adapter. The power plugs and sockets on board are of type F. The standard voltage is 230 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz.
- The dress code aboard the ship is relaxed and casual, and you are not expected to dress formally for meals
- A pair of good binoculars (or rent a high-quality pair from the shop)
- A small waterproof backpack to carry essentials during landings
- Please remember to bring your passport and a copy of it
- Sun protection (factor 30 +) and insect repellent for landings
- Sunglasses with UV-filter lenses
- Lip salve with UV protection
- Remember to bring sufficient medication to last through any unforeseen delays
- Wind and water-resistant trousers
- Warm cap or headband
- Swimwear for use in our on-deck pool and hot tubs
- Scarf or fleece tube
- Warm woollen jumper and fleece jumper/jacket. Remember layers are essential
- Gloves and/or mittens
- Warm socks
- Shoes with good soles are recommended for use on the outside deck and for excursions ashore. Make sure that they are worn-in walking boots