Activities and lectures on your cruise to the Northwest Passage
Learn more about the onboard experience on a cruise to the Northwest Passage with Hurtigruten.
The Expedition Team
Throughout your expedition cruise, your Expedition Team will guide you in a variety of activities on board and during landings.
Landings and hikes ashore
To really experience and get to know the Northwest Passage, you’ll go ashore on landings with the Expedition Team. This could be places of historical/biological/geological interest, small settlements, cities, or places that offer stunning natural beauty.
Cruising in one of the most remote parts of the world, the ship will not be able to dock everywhere and anywhere. That’s why we have our explorer boats. You will meet up in the tender pit to board in groups before our sturdy boats take you safely to shore. At certain locations, you might have to disembark directly into shallow water to reach the shore.
The Expedition Team are with you all the way to guide, interpret and make the most out of these landings and hikes. They also make sure we don’t disturb wildlife and natural habitats, and that we leave nothing but a few footprints.
Small boat cruising
Explore legendary inlets and channels, see an iceberg up close, and look out for the marine animals in the Northwest Passage, like seals, whales, birds and walrus.
Lectures and onboard activities
When the ship is at sea, there’s plenty happening on board as well. These are some of the activities you can enjoy:
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you explore the natural world while also contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- On deck guiding and birdwatching
See what it's like to go on an expedition cruise to the Northwest Passage with Hurtigruten