San Diego is described as `America’s Finest City´ thanks to its laid-back vibe, more than 60 beautiful beaches, the museums of Balboa Park, the Latin-inspired food and architecture, and possibly America’s best weather. We highly recommend booking a Pre-Programme to explore more of what this city and its surroundings offer before embarking MS Roald Amundsen.
The charming city of Avalon is sat in a tranquil bay on Santa Catalina Island off the coast of Los Angeles. Observe diverse sealife on a glass-bottom boat or explore the island on golf carts like the locals. Hiking trails may pass blackbuck antelope or American bison while the waters boast marlin, swordfish, and yellowtail.
Situated where the vineyards of the Santa Ynez mountains meet the sea, Santa Barbara is known for its beaches, whale-watching, and display of California’s Spanish roots. Visit the Old Mission and it’s beautiful rose garden, enjoy a meal at Stearns Wharf, or venture outside the city on one of the area’s many hiking trails.
IncludedSanta Barbara by TrolleyHop aboard the Santa Barbara Trolley. Learn about Santa Barbara and the surrounding areas.
Refugio State Beach Kayak TourExplore Santa Barbara’s Undeveloped Coastline!
Santa Ynez Wine CountryEnjoy the heart of the Santa Ynez wine country, home to several very popular California vintners.
San Francisco needs no introduction. Our optional excursion will take you to its top sights. Take a cable car up the hills, visit Golden Gate Bridge or Alcatraz, and enjoy the incredible food scene. As our ship leaves the bay at the end of the day, experience sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset.
IncludedWalk to Lands End ViewpointExperience the wild north-western coast of San Francisco and the Golden Gate on a leisurely 3-hour walking tour of Lands End.
San Francisco - Alcatraz and Golden Gate BridgeExperience two of San Francisco’s iconic landmarks, The Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz Island.
San Francisco - Sonoma Wine CountryTravel by coach to some of Sonoma’s top wineries, soaking in not just the tannins and fruit-forward flavours but the countryside views as well.
San Francisco - Muir Woods and SausalitoWalk through a forest featuring giant coastal redwood trees soaring 75 metres (250 ft) or more and explore the charming town of Sausalito.
San Francisco City Tour with Dim Sum LunchExperience the distinctive architecture, history and culture of ‘The City by the Bay’. San Francisco is also home to some of the most authentic Chinese food in the US, so what better place to try Dim Sum?
Days at sea mean you can join the Expedition Team for interesting lectures, learn the basics of expedition photography, and spend time out on deck enjoying the fresh salt air as you scout the waters and coasts for wildlife. Of course, there’s also plenty time to chat and get to know your fellow explorers.
Discover Seattle´s diverse highlights at your leisure or join one of our optional excursions. Visit the Pike Place Market, the iconic Space Needle, and an eclectivc range of museums. Seattle is often referred to as the `Emerald City´ due to the nearby evergreen forest and there will be opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors here.
IncludedBill & Melinda Gates Foundation / DowntownDepart the ship for a quick drive over to Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Discovery Center.
Seattle - Pike Place Market Walking & Tasting TourCreated more than a century ago to connect the city's citizens and farmers, Pike Place Market is a beloved Seattle treasure
Seattle - Tillicum ExcursionEnjoy this cultural trip cruising by boat from downtown Seattle to nearby Blake Island State Park, a 475-acre island with lovely beaches, trails, views and Native American culture.
Seattle - Grand City TourPast and present thrive side by side in Seattle. See it all on the Grand City Tour - from modern Fifth Avenue to historic Pioneer Square and the International District.
From the boutiques on Main Street to the coffee shops of Commercial Drive, the steam clock in Gastown or the heritage-house beachfronts of Kitsilano, you’ll quickly find out why this coastal metropolis is consistently voted one of the world´s most liveable cities. Extend your stay and book a Post-Programme to the nearby mountain resort of Whistler.
Included in your voyage
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science programme allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, infinity pool, panoramic sauna, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the onboard wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
MS Roald Amundsen
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Some expedition cruises include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara by Trolley
Santa Barbara - Refugio State Beach Kayak Tour
SANTA BARBARA - Santa Ynez Wine Country
San Francisco - Walk to Lands End Viewpoint
San Francisco – Alcatraz and Golden Gate Bridge
San Francisco – Sonoma Wine Country
San Francisco – Muir Woods and Sausalito
San Francisco - San Francisco City Tour with Dim Sum Lunch
Seattle - Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation / Downtown
Seattle – Pike Place Market Walking & Tasting Tour
Seattle – Tillicum Excursion
Seattle – Grand City Tour
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
San Diego: Pre-Programme (21/22)
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- MS Roald Amundsen: Life on board and Practical information
- Meet our Expedition Teams
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board