Join us on a journey of historical and ecological discovery as we explore some of South America’s iconic treasures before setting out in Charles Darwin’s footsteps to witness the incomparable Galápagos Islands.
South American Adventure
The first part of the adventure takes place on land as we visit Lima and the capital of the Inca empire at Cusco, Peru, before travelling up the Sacred Valley to the enigmatic lost city at Machu Picchu. In Ecuador you’ll get to explore Quito and visit Cotopaxi Volcano before we fly out to the next stage of our adventure.
Darwin’s islands of evolution
The Galápagos Islands are famed for their association with the evolutionary theorist Charles Darwin. Our comprehensive itinerary calls at the centrally-located Santa Cruz Island, the volcanic island of Fernandina, Isabela and Floreana - two of the four islands visited by Darwin - and balmy Baltra, before continuing to Santiago, the adjacent islands of Rábida and Bartolomé, and isolated Genovesa. The landings take in a wide variety of ecosystems and picturesque landscapes, and provide great opportunities for seeing wildlife such as sea lions, turtles, marine iguanas, giant tortoises, flamingos and iconic Darwin’s Finches.
Your expedition ship – MS Santa Cruz II
MS Santa Cruz II’s crafted itineraries give you some of the best island coverage and wildlife viewing opportunities in the Galápagos. Many excursions take place at exclusive visitor sites, meaning we’ll often have entire areas to ourselves. Having multiple naturalist guides aboard Santa Cruz II also means you’ll be able to choose from a wider range of activities each day.
Your ship is also one of the few vessels operating in Galápagos that comes equipped with a full range of exploration tools, including dinghies, kayaks, snorkelling gear and paddleboards. There's even a glass-bottom boat. Of course, safety and sustainability are paramount throughout your cruise, and there’s a 24-hour Medical Officer onboard at all times.
Day 1Lima, Peru
Fly from Germany and start off your South American adventure in Peru’s Lima.
Day 2Lima/Cusco, Peru
Journey to the old capital of the Incas and experience its amazing architecture and Andean vibe.
Day 3Cusco/Machu Picchu/Cusco
Travel back in time to a lost world at South America’s most iconic destination.
Day 4Cusco, Peru / Quito, Ecuador
Arrive in the city of eternal spring, get your bearings and relax after your journey.
Day 5Quito, Ecuador
Get a taste for Ecuador with a visit to a traditional market and a trip to Cotopaxi Volcano.
Day 6Galapagos, Ecuador
Fly away from the mainland to the Galápagos Islands and have your first wildlife encounter.
Day 7Isabela and Fernandina Islands, Galápagos
Explore the coast by dinghy and set foot on the island of the marine iguanas.
Day 8Santa Cruz Island, Galápagos
Meet the famous giant tortoises of Galápagos at the Charles Darwin Research Station.
Day 9Floreana Island, Galápagos
Discover a bit of Galápagos history and look out for some underwater wildlife.
Day 10Galápagos, Ecuador
Relaxation day at Santa Cruz. Recharge your batteries and lounge on Las Bachas beach.
Day 11Santiago Island, Galápagos
Explore Santiago Island and see its wild residents and impressive rock formations.
Day 12Rábida Island and Bartolomé Island, Galápagos
See some amazing wildlife and beautiful landscapes, and try out the glass bottom boat.
Day 13Genovesa Island, Galápagos
Start the morning with a climb to really see this paradise for birdlife.
Day 14Santa Cruz & Baltra Island, Ecuador
It’s the end of your cruise, so enjoy a slow goodbye at the giant tortoise sanctuary.
Title Arrive back home in Germany at the end of your epic adventure.
Included in your voyage
- One night in Lima, two nights in Cusco, two nights in Quito before the expedition cruise, including breakfast. Dinner on day 2-5
- Return flights in economy class from Germany to Lima and back from Guayaquil including all taxes(including Rail & Fly ticket)
- Flights in economy from Lima to Cusco, and from Cusco via Lima to Quito including all taxes
- Return flights in economy class between Quito andBaltra, and Baltra and Guayaquil including all taxes
- Transfers in Lima and Quito between hotel and airport
- Transfers betweenBaltraAirport and ship
- Tour Package Cuzco and Machu Picchu as described including excursions with lunch, train tickets, entrance fees, transfers within Cusco
- GalápagosIslands National Park admission fee
- Transit Control Card forGalápagos Islands
- Access to airport lounge at GuayaquilAirport upon return from Galápagos Islands
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water)
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Limited complimentary Wi-Fi for suite guests. Wi-Fi is available for purchase, but be aware that we sail in remote areas with very limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- German- and English-speaking Expedition Team who guide activities and provide educational information on board and ashore
- Welcome and farewell cocktails
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has a library, microscopes and samples
- Citizen Science programme allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs and gym
- Landings, hikes, coastal exploration, and activities including kayaking, snorkeling, and our glass-bottom boat
- Complimentary wetsuit rental for suite guests. Wetsuit rental available on request.
Not included in your voyage
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
MS Santa Cruz II
|Year of refurbishment||2021|
|Shipyard||ASENAV Shipyard (CHL)|
|Gross tonnage||2664 T|
When you are exploring the Galápagos islands with us onboard the MS Santa Cruz II, you will enjoy a relaxed atmosphere in high quality surroundings. The small size - with a guest capacity of maximum of 90 allows for a cozy yet classy environment. You´ll easily feel at home on board.