Discover the rich history and cultural legacy of Europe’s Atlantic coast as we sail from Amsterdam to Lisbon.
Ancient abbeys, medieval masterpieces and D-Day battle sites
Setting sail from Amsterdam, you’ll be on a deep-dive journey into Europe’s fascinating history. You’ll explore Dover, the strategic gateway to England, and marvel at the sprawling castle built atop the famed white cliffs. From there we’ll sail to Normandy and walk on a beach where the Allied troops landed on D-Day, as well as visit Caen, the medieval town where William the Conqueror left his indelible mark.
In Brittany you’ll stroll through the old quays of Roscoff, for centuries a home for corsairs and smugglers. We’ll then sail down through the Bay of Biscay to the rugged northern coast of Spain, looking out for marine wildlife along the way. In Galicia you’ll see the world’s oldest still-functioning extant lighthouse – the Tower of Hercules – and seek out Celtic links to the past in A Coruña.
Culture, cuisine and cruising
Enjoy getting lost in the maze of streets around the Vigo’s Old Town, and when hunger strikes the many bars and restaurants there won’t disappoint. Sample local fare, including Gallego cuisine and popular dishes in Porto, and savour authentic tapas with your Galician cider. Our cruise of discovery comes to an end in culture-saturated Lisbon, the jewel in Portugal’s crown.
Our experienced and knowledgeable Expedition Team is on hand to ensure you get the best experience on your cruise. Aboard the comfortable MS Spitsbergen, they’ll host informative in-depth lectures about our destinations.
Day 1Amsterdam, The Netherlands
The city where land meets sea
Day 2Dover, United Kingdom
Iconic white cliffs and medieval fortifications
Day 3Ouistreham, France
Steeped in history and medieval charm
Day 4Roscoff, France
Buccaneers’ hideout, corsairs den
Day 5At sea
Sailing the Bay of Biscay
Day 6A Coruña, Spain
Guided by the light of Hercules
Day 7La Coruña, Spain
Gateway to Galicia
Day 8Vigo, Spain
Day 9Porto, Portugal
The city of port wine
Day 10Lisbon, Portugal
Day 11Lisbon, Portugal
Farewell in Lisbon
Current offers on this cruise:
Free rebookingOur booking policy ensures peace of mind when you book your next adventure.The benefits of the policy apply to any new bookings made between 16 February 2022 and 30 June 2022, for expedition cruises departing on or before 31 December 2022.See Special Offer
Included in your voyage
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in our Aune restaurant
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included activities
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science programme allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, panoramic sauna and indoor gym
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not included in your voyage
- Air Travel
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- All planned activities are subject to weather and – if relevant - ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please make sure you meet all entry and boarding requirements
- No gratuities expected
|Year of refurbishment||2016|
|Shipyard||Estaleiro Navais de Viana do Castelo (POR)|
MS Spitsbergen will take you on a voyage beyond the ordinary. She cruises along the Norwegian coast from September to May, and becomes part of our global Expedition sailings during the rest of the year.