Caribbean Sea – Discover Cayes, Coves and Reefs
On this voyage you'll find departures with:
Solo travelers: No single supplement
Duration: 16 days
3790 € per person
- Explore the highlights of the Caribbean coast, sailing from exciting New York
- Visit seven different countries in one voyage
- Visit tropical paradise islands and beaches
- Discover rich local cultures and traditions
- Day 1 New York - Embarkation
- Day 2-3 At sea
- Day 4 Charleston, USA
- Day 5 At sea
- Day 6 Key West, USA
- Day 7 At sea
- Day 8 Cozumel, Mexico
- Day 9 Isla de Útila
- Day 10 At sea
- Day 11 Isla de Providencia, Colombia
- Day 12 San Andrés Island, Colombia
- Day 13 Corn Island, Nicaragua
- Day 14 Bocas del Toro, Panama
- Day 15 Puerto Limon / San José, Costa Rica - Disembarkation & Overnight
- Day 16 San José, Costa Rica
Our expedition cruise starts in energetic, one-of-a-kind New York City in beautiful autumn colours. Spend some time enjoying all that Manhattan has to offer before embarking on MS Fram. Join us on deck as we sail out of Manhattan and past the Statue of Liberty.
Days at sea are yours to enjoy. The Expedition Team will start a series of introductory lectures about history, biology and life in the ocean. Enjoy the onboard facilities and come outside on deck to spot for marine wildlife and sea birds guiding our vessel.
Charleston is considered one of Americas greatest historic treasures. With cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages and an elegant French Quarter, the city is ideal to explore on foot. Stroll the magnificent Battery promenade and Waterfront Park. Explore the city and its historic sites at your leisure or join one of our optional excursions.
IncludedCharleston - Beach CleanupJoin the effort to rid the oceans of plastic on our beach clean-ups.
Boone Plantation & Historic CharlestonJourney to historic Boone Hall Plantation, used in the filming of the television miniseries, "North And South" and "Queen" and for background filming in "Gone With the Wind".
Charleston - Historic Walking TourExperience the history of Charleston during this two-hour walking tour that takes you deep into the heart of Charleston.
Charleston - Delightful Upper King Street Culinary TourThis excursion provides insight into Charleston's historic Upper King Street neighbourhood, recently named one of the top 10 food neighbourhoods in America.
Charleston - Fossil HuntingLook for and find fossils while exploring Morris Island in search of the prehistoric past.
Spend time on deck as we head south to feel the air getting warmer and warmer. Enjoy the serenity of sea days. Listen in as our experienced lecturers share their extensive knowledge and meet our Expedition Team outside on deck to spot marine wildlife and sea birds.
The southernmost island in the Florida Keys and only 140 kilometres from Cuba, laid-back Key West is perfect for a day of exploration. Stroll amidst the 19th century architecture in Old Town and visit the Ernest Hemmingway House Museum or just cool off with a mojito, the cocktail of choice for many visiting Key West.
IncludedKey West - Old Town TrolleyA one hour private tour on the Conch Tour Train or Old Town Trolley is the best way to see the charming Southernmost City.
Key West Mangrove Eco TourEscape the ordinary - only 15 minutes from busy downtown Key West. Visit the pristine paradise of Geiger Key.
Key West - Best of Food Walking Tour and Mojito WorkshopEnjoy the ‘best of’ Key West during this foodie walking tour.
Key West - Historic Walking Tour and Hemingway’s HouseWelcome to Key West. Stroll along lively Duval Street with a guide and experience local energy as you make your way to the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum.
Our Expedition Team continues its lecture programme, sharing their extensive knowledge and experience and letting you know about plans for the exciting days ahead.
Visit San Miguel de Cozumel and spend the day ashore in this lively island town, enjoying the restaurants, cafes and nearby beaches. Discover the island at your leisure or join one of the excursion options of the day.
IncludedCozumel - Orientation tour to the beachJoin a narrated tour to the heart of downtown Cozumel to see historic buildings, including the main church and clock tower
Cozumel - Ruins & Mayan TraditionsEmbark on a new adventure and discover connections between past and present on picturesque Cozumel Island. Explore the Mayan ruins and enjoy visiting the Mayan Bee Sanctuary.
The best of CozumelGet a glimpse into Maya life on this excursion to the Mayan ruins of San Gervasio. We also visit Cozumel’s oldest settlement, enjoy a scenic drive around the island and taste chocolate at a chocolate factory.
All Terrain Buggy & SnorkelExplore Cozumel´s shoreline onboard your All-Terrain Vehicle and enjoy the incredible views of the Cozumel´s underwater world on a snorkel tour.
Cozumel - Tulum Mayan RuinsExperience magnificent Tulum, the only walled Mayan city situated high atop a cliff overlooking the crystal clear blue Caribbean Sea.
Known for its coral reefs and dive sites, Útila is the smallest of the Honduras Bay Islands. We will come ashore in Utila town, the island´s only settlement. Relax in town, visit the Iguana Research & Breeding Station to see local species or enjoy some of the nearby beaches.
Enjoy a pleasant day at sea as we make our way further south. The Expedition Team will recap the voyage so far and prepare you for the next days which will be full of tropical island experiences. Spend time on deck and look for birds or other wildlife following us on our travels.
Providencia is an unspoiled tropical island with traditions that remain intact. You will still hear English Creole spoken here. Enjoy breathtaking scenery, lovely sand beaches, friendly locals, and a lovely sunset as we set sail late in the evening.
IncludedProvidencia - Cultural ShowWith influences from Latin America, Africa and the Antilles the music of Providencia is of la socca, calypso, mento, foxtrot, Jumping Polka, Shoteische and pasillo!
Adventure to the PeakThis is a tour to the highest mountain of the island and a nature reserve.
Providencia - Snorkeling TourIsla de Providencia is at the heart of UNESCO's Seaflower Biosphere, which cover approximately 10 percent of the entire Caribbean. Among the features protected by the biosphere is Providencia's coral reef— 32 kilometres (20 miles) long and one of the largest reefs in the western hemisphere.
Providencia - Island TourThe tour starts with a guided walk across the pedestrian bridge to the beautiful island of Santa Catalina. The footpath leads past mangroves and guests will learn about the mangrove ecosystem.
Another day in paradise awaits. Explore some of San Andres Island’s natural attractions at your leisure or join one of the optional activities of the day.
Nautilus AdventureHead out on a sightseeing glass boat adventure where you'll spot tropical fish and coral
Snorkel Tour AdventureSavour the warmth of tropical waters on a snorkelling trip where you'll swim with multitudes of fish and coral.
San Andrés - Islander Cooking ClassThis tour provides unique insight into the culinary world of Colombia’s Caribbean islands and is designed for adventurous souls who are captivated by island cooking using locally sourced ingredients.
San Andrés - Taste of San AndrésSan Andrés Island is famous for its beautiful beaches, friendly people and turquoise seas, but to see the complete picture means getting first-hand insight to the history and culture with a local taxi driver guide.
The Creole inhabitants of Great Corn Island live in colourful wooden houses and earn most of their income from lobster fishing. With white sand beaches and crystal-clear waters, you can enjoy snorkeling here, or take a hike up Mount Pleasant Hill for a view of the entire island.
We round up our extensive journey with by calling on Bocas del Toro, an archipelago of cays and thousands of islets. Bocas is brimming with sandy beaches and is called the `Galápagos of the Caribbean´ because it is one of the most biologically diverse places on Earth.
IncludedBocas del Toro - Water taxi to local beach with nature trail walkTravel by local tender boats to one of two beaches on either Solarte Island or Bastimentos Island to relax or walk on one of many trails
Bocas del Toro - Sustainable Cacao FarmGreat views and chocolate tasting with a “feel good” factor! Enjoy a short boat tour and brief hike to the beautiful and fascinating Bocas Sustainable Farm.
Bocas del Toro - Cayo ZapatillaVisit the picturesque Zapatilla Cay – the setting for numerous episodes of the “Survivor” series. Enjoy the white sand beaches and fine coral for snorkelling as we scan for exotic wildlife.
Cacao Farm & Indigenous CommunityGet a taste of life in a Ngabe village, learn about organic cacao and enjoy a delicious chocolate tasting as you support the local community.
Puerto Limón boasts fascinating architecture and vibrant open-air marketplaces. The central market is the place to go to buy everything from carved wood items to traditional souvenirs. After disembarkation, we transfer you to San José for your overnight stay. On the way, enjoy a fascinating excursion to the Tortuguero Canal.
Today your expedition cruise comes to an end. If you would like to extend your stay in Costa Rica, we recommend booking our Post-programme for a visit to beautiful Manuel Antonio National Park.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer from ship in Puerto Limon to hotel in San José including lunch and an excursion
- One hotel night in San José after the voyage including breakfast
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich programme of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Visa for USA (ESTA)
- On this trip, a vaccine against yellow fever is required. The vaccination must be done at least 10 days before departure. Please bring the vaccination certificate on your voyage.
For details please see Entry requirements
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Passenger capacity||318 (200 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||11 647 T|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram brings on the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology to make her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in Polar Regions.
Some expedition cruises may include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Charleston - Beach Cleanup
Charleston - Boone Plantation & Historic Charleston
Charleston – Historic Walking Tour
Charleston – Delightful Upper King Street Culinary Tour
Charleston – Fossil Hunting
Key West - Old Town Trolley
Key West - Key West Mangrove Eco Tour
Key West – Best of Food Walking Tour and Mojito Workshop
Key West – Historic Walking Tour and Hemingway’s House
Cozumel - Orientation tour to the beach
Cozumel – Ruins & Mayan Traditions
Cozumel - The best of Cozumel
Cozumel - All Terrain Buggy & Snorkel
Cozumel - Tulum Mayan Ruins
Providencia - Cultural Show
Providencia - Adventure to the Peak
Providencia – Snorkeling Tour
Providencia - Island Tour
San Andres - Nautilus Adventure
San Andres - Snorkel Tour Adventure
San Andrés – Islander Cooking Class
San Andrés – Taste of San Andrés
Bocas del Toro - Water taxi to local beach with nature trail walk
Bocas del Toro - Sustainable Cacao Farm
Bocas del Toro - Cayo Zapatilla
Bocas del Toro - Cacao Farm & Indigenous Community
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.