Antarctica – Southern Hemisphere Adventure (Southbound)
Duration: 19 days
Ship: MS Fridtjof Nansen
21 October 2020
Price from: 9291 € per personCheck prices and availability
- Experience Antarctica, Patagonia, the Falklands and South America on one voyage
- See amazing wildlife, such as penguins, seals, whales and albatrosses
- Come ashore on landings and enjoy ice-cruising in the most remote place on Earth
- Wide-ranging Science and activity programme led by our expert Expedition Team
Enjoy an overnight stay in Montevideo, the scenic capital of Uruguay.
Montevideo boasts colourful cultural diversity, with a picturesque blend of colonial Spanish, Italian and Art Deco architectural styles. Enjoy a tour through this historic city before embarking on MS Fridtjof Nansen for your polar adventure.
Enjoy the first days on board! The Expedition Team will start the lecture programme, covering history, the great explorers, marine biology, wildlife and oceanography. Spend some time on deck and enjoy the sun and warm temperatures as you scan for wildlife while we make our way south.
Visit Valdez Peninsula, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Situated on Argentina's Patagonian coast, this peninsula is home to some of the country's most dramatic wildlife habitats. Enjoy our optional excursions starting in Puerto Madryn that bring you closer to wildlife and let you experience the Gaucho-lifestyle of Patagonia.
Relax in the tranquility of a day at sea, sharing experiences and exchanging stories with your fellow adventurers. Enjoy the amenities of our innovative expedition ship and look out for wildlife from our outer decks.
As we reach the westernmost outposts in the Falklands, you will see remote farms that have been family-owned for several generations. We hope to call on New Island, which boasts white sand beaches and turquoise waters that could easily be mistaken for those on a Caribbean isle.
We may go ashore on Carcass Island - an avian paradise with ducks, geese, penguins, albatrosses, caracaras and wrens. Our Expedition Team will look for every opportunity to take you exploring, hiking or cruising to get a closer look at local wildlife.
Stanley, the inviting capital of the Falklands, is a good size for roaming the streets on foot. Or you can join an optional excursion to explore the wilderness and wildlife in the surrounding area. We will be docked at Stanley throughout the day.
Days at sea are full of activity. Our expert Expedition Team will lead talks and lectures on fascinating topics in the Science Center, and there this is a great time to enjoy the Wellness area or pools.
Once we have crossed the Antarctic Convergence, and begun our approach to Antarctica, you will notice that the air becomes crisper and colder. From deck, you might start seeing icebergs in the water, and perhaps the first sighting of whales as well.
Antarctica never fails to inspire awe and wonder, with white horizons above oceans full of icebergs and whales. Perhaps even more awe-inspiring will be your first meeting with huge colonies of fearless penguins on the pristine ice.
Our captain and Expedition Team will work with the elements to create the best possible itinerary for your adventure. They will look for every chance to go ice-cruising or on landings designed to give you the chance to explore the most beautiful and remote places on Earth.
We will attempt landings on several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula and aim to bring you to the incredible diversity of wildlife and landscapes the area has to offer.
Everywhere we explore in Antarctica is truly pristine and offers great chances to observe penguin colonies, seals, whales, glaciers, or icebergs in every shape and colour.
Nowhere else on Earth offers such untouched wild beauty, explorer history and rich wildlife. Antarctica is unlike anywhere you´ve ever been.
After exhilarating days in Antarctica and the Falklands, the final days on board are spent crossing the Drake Passage. Spend time recapping our expedition with the Expedition Team in the Science Center and enjoy the Farewell dinner on the last evening.
Arriving in Ushuaia, it’s time to say goodbye. We transfer you to the airport for your flight back to Buenos Aires. If you want to explore further before going home, you are welcome to join our optional excursions in the Post-programme.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Montevideo before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to ship in Montevideo including city tour
- Transfer ship to airport in Ushuaia
- Economy flight Ushuaia to Buenos Aires
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (for suite guests only)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry requirements for your travel.
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom built ships – and the next generation expedition ship. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Buenos Aires - Post-programme Iguazu Falls 20/21
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Dinner & Tango Show
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Tigre Delta Tour
Buenos Aires - Estancia Santa Susana (20/21)
Ushuaia - Scenic drive and hiking at the end of the world (20/21)
Sailing with MS Fridtjof Nansen
- MS Fridtjof Nansen: Life on board and Practical information
- Meet our Expedition Teams
- Landing sites in Antarctica
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board