Antarctica – Highlights of the Frozen Continent
Duration: 13 days
Ship: MS Midnatsol
10 February 2020
21 February 2020
3 March 2020
Price from: 6775 € per personCheck prices and availability
- Six days exploring 22 possible sites on the Antarctic Peninsula
- February in Antarctica has the warmest weather and hatching penguin chicks
- February and March are the best periods for whale watching in Antarctica
- Inclusive lectures, onboard Science Center, and Citizen Science program
Unescorted overnight in Buenos Aires. Guests can explore the capital of Argentina with its colorful neighborhoods and beautiful parks.
Temperature range Feb-Mar: 69 – 78°F
· One-night bed and breakfast at a centrally located three-star hotel
Transfer from the hotel to the airport for an early morning flight to Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world and where MS Midnatsol awaits. Once aboard the ship, guests join a mandatory safety drill before the Captain’s introduction and welcome dinner.
Temperature range Feb-Mar: 42 – 54°F
Included transfers and flight:
· Transfer from hotel to Buenos Aires airport · Flight in coach class from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia · Transfer from Ushuaia airport to the ship
Prepare yourself for Antarctica as we cross the infamous Drake Passage, and trust us - it will overwhelm you! MS Midnatsol is designed especially to bring polar exploration to all ages and learning levels. There will also be several lectures on the environment around us; films about Antarctica and the Activity Center will be providing the latest technology for preserving your memories. This will be the heart of the expedition community, where we gather for talks, recaps and spontaneous events, mingle and share stories.
You are now in one of the most remote areas on earth! There have been spectacular photo opportunities so far, but Antarctica itself is in a whole different category. Come ashore to explore the breath taking Antarctic scenery and to come close to penguins and seals. You will feel like a real explorer from the moment you set foot on the endless expanse of snow and ice. From the deck there will be ample opportunities to sight whales.
Enjoy close encounters with wildlife and glaciers, old whaling stations and relics. Trust us when we say that every second of this journey has something new to offer. One of the highlights of the South Shetlands is Deception Island. When we sail into the natural harbour of this volcanic island, you will see an abandoned whaling station known as Hektor and a derelict British base.
We are certain you will enjoy a visit to Half Moon Island, a staggeringly photogenic island blessed with some of the most beautiful Antarctic scenery imaginable, or Yankee Harbour, with its large colony of Gentoo penguins, estimated to be 4,000 breeding pairs. Cuverville Island is home to another of the largest known colonies of Gentoo penguins. Neko Harbour is beautifully located in the innermost part of Andvord Bay.
Paradise Harbour got its descriptive name from the whalers during the last century. Wilhelmina Bay has stunning scenery and is often called “Whale-mina Bay”, because of the large number of humpback whales spotted here in December. We have planned plenty of activities to make you experience Antarctica in the best way. This might mean that one day you will go shore to see penguins and hear the crackling noise of glaciers.
Next day, you get to feel the salt and wind as you cruise between the sea ice, looking for leopard seals taking a snooze on the ice. Third day, kayaking or a longer hike or walk. Back on board we also have activities that will satisfy a whole range of interests in the explorer room. The on board photographer will show you the basics of expedition photography.
Join gatherings where the various members of the expedition team recount the day’s activities, make presentations, and the expedition leader discusses the next day’s plan. These gatherings are great opportunities for sharing and shared memory making and mingling with the expedition community.
After exploring this exhilarating continent, we set course back to civilisation. Spend the day at sea recapping your experiences, having fun in the Activity Center or just relaxing on deck.
Sadly, every adventure must come to an end. It is time to say goodbye to the crew and all your new friends when we reach Ushuaia. We transfer you to the airport for your flight back to Buenos Aires. If you haven't had enough adventures, you have the possibility to extend your stay and enjoy our optional post expedition programmes.
Included in your voyage
• Return flights in coach class between Buenos Aires and Ushuaia
• Overnight at a centrally located three-star hotel in Buenos Aires before the voyage, including breakfast
• Transfer from the hotel in Buenos Aires to Buenos Aires airport before the voyage
• Transfers between Ushuaia airport and the ship, including a short city tour
• Full-board expedition voyage aboard MS Midnatsol in a cabin of your choice
• A choice of three onboard restaurants
• Complimentary tea and coffee
• Complimentary reusable water bottle made from aluminum to use at water refill stations located throughout the ship
• No gratuities expected
• English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and accompany activities aboard and ashore
• Citizen Science program allows guests to help out with live scientific research
• Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on sustainability, climate change, wildlife, glaciology, history
• Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
• Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
• Use of the ship’s hot tubs, sauna, and indoor gym
• Informal gatherings where the crew share stories, play a film or documentary, conduct a quiz, run art workshops, perform talents like fruit and ice carving, or teach guests how to tie sailor’s knots
• Daily escorted landings in one of 22 possible sites while in Antarctica
• Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for included and optional activities
• Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
• Canon-certified Expedition Team members help with your camera settings before every landing
Not included in your voyage
• Visa to enter Argentina
• Travel insurance
• International flight package to and from Buenos Aires
• Luggage handling
• Additional landing activities such as:
o Small boat cruising
o Glacier hikes
o Photography course
• Pre and post-programs
|Shipyard||Fosen Mek. Verk. (N)|
|Passenger capacity||970 (500 in Antarctica)|
The MS Midnatsol (Midnight Sun) is dedicated to the wonders of Arctic summer. The ship sails along the Norwegian coast from May to September, and is part of our global expedition cruises during the rest of the year.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Buenos Aires - Overnight Tour: Iguazu Falls
Buenos Aires - Wild Patagonia (overnight tour)
Ushuaia - Tierra del Fuego National Park
Buenos Aires - City tour Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires - Dinner & tango show
Buenos Aires - Tigre Delta Tour
Buenos Aires - Estancia Santa Susana
Montevideo - Charming Colonia del Sacramento
Ushuaia - Scenic drive and hiking at the end of the world
Everything you need to know about a cruise with Hurtigruten
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Midnatsol
- Landing sites in Antarctica
- Meet our Expedition Teams
- Antarctica Travel Guide
- Antarctica: Frequently Asked Questions
- What to pack for Expedition Cruises
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board
- Frequently Asked Questions: Hurtigruten Cruises