Antarctica – Highlights of the Frozen Continent
Duration: 12 days
Ship: MS Fridtjof Nansen
2020: 7 Nov / 17 Nov / 27 Nov / 7 Dec / 17 Dec / 27 Dec
2021: 16 Jan
Price from: 6590 € per personCheck prices and availability
- See the best Antarctica has to offer on an advanced expedition cruise
- Experience massive glaciers, icebergs, polar landscape and rich wildlife
- Mix of landings and ice-cruising as well as optional adventures
- Science Center with fascinating lectures and activities on board
This adventure starts with an overnight stay in Buenos Aires, the bustling capital of Argentina. Spend the evening at your leisure and discover `Paris of South America´ for yourself on a warm spring/summer day or extend your stay by an optional pre-programme to explore Wild Patagonia.
Fly early in the morning to Ushuaia, where MS Fridtjof Nansen awaits. Once on board, we kick off our journey with a Welcome dinner.
Prepare yourself for Antarctica as we cross the famed Drake Passage. MS Fridtjof Nansen is designed to make polar exploration a pleasure for all ages and learning levels. There will be lectures on the environment, films about Antarctica in the Science Center, and the ship offers a pool, hot tubs and Wellness Center to enhance your journey.
Welcome to the most remote area on Earth! Come ashore to explore the breathtaking Antarctic scenery and encounter penguins. From the deck, there will be ample opportunities to sight whales and seals.
We always work with the elements in Antarctica, and we aim to land on the South Shetland Islands and on the Antarctic Peninsula.
The places we visit are serene and offer opportunities to observe different types of Antarctic wildlife, including penguin colonies, seals, whales, glaciers, icebergs in every shape and colour, whaling stations and scientific stations.
Our activities are exciting and varied. One day you will go ashore to see penguins and hear the crackling sounds of glaciers. The next day, you may get to feel the wind as you cruise amid the sea ice, looking for seals. Another day you may choose optional kayaking or a walk. Our onboard photographer will be on hand to show you the basics of expedition photography to capture these amazing experiences.
After exploring this exhilarating continent, we set course back to civilisation. Spend the day at sea recapping your experiences, having fun in the Science Center or just relaxing on deck, spotting the many sea birds which follow our ship.
Our expedition cruise ends as we reach Ushuaia, and we transfer you to the airport for your flight back to Buenos Aires. For more adventure, you can extend your stay and enjoy our optional Post-programmes.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Buenos Aires before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to airport in Buenos Aires
- Return economy flights Buenos Aires to Ushuaia
- Transfers in Ushuaia including one orientation tour
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry requirements for your travel
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom built ships – and the next generation expedition ship. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Before you travel with MS Fridtjof Nansen
- Antarctica Travel Guide
- Antarctica: Frequently Asked Questions
- What to pack for Expedition Cruises to Antarctica and beyond
- Frequently Asked Questions: Hurtigruten Cruises
- Entry requirements for your travel