Antarctica, Patagonia, Chilean Fjords – Voyage of Discovery (Northbound)
Duration: 19 days
Ship: MS Roald Amundsen
18 March 2021
Price from: 8989 € per personCheck prices and availability
- Experience Antarctica and Patagonia in one expedition
- Enjoy ice-cruising, landings and incredible wildlife in Antarctica
- Sail into the Chilean fjords in summer and see Cape Horn
- Opportunity to visit Torres del Paine National Park
The capital of Chile is exciting and diverse. There is a lot to discover, from the Andean glaciers at the city borders, to tall mountains and skyscrapers, to quiet parks, colonial architecture, bohemian quarters and the fast-flowing Mapacho River. Your adventure starts with an overnight hotel stay here.
You fly early in the morning to Punta Arenas, where the hybrid powered expedition ship MS Roald Amundsen is docked, ready for your expedition cruise to Antarctica.
We sail through the scenic Beagle Channel and over the legendary Drake Passage. Onboard, the Expedition Team starts the lecture program, giving you information about Antarctica’s fantastic animals, geology and history. Enjoy the fresh sea air and look out for wildlife from the deck.
Home to ninety per cent of the world´s ice, Antarctica never fails to amaze and astound. In winter sea ice virtually doubles the size of the continent. In summer, it is a breeding ground for millions of penguins, whales and seals.
This is a continent dedicated to peace, science and tourism that has evolved through millenniums without human interference. Therefore, we adhere to very strict environmental guidelines and rules. We want to leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but pictures!
Antarctica is a true wilderness, so local conditions will dictate our final itinerary. We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula with the aim of showing you the incredible diversity of landscapes and rich wildlife on display.
At every opportunity, our expert Expedition Team will take you ice-cruising and out for landings. There may also be chances to kayak among icebergs, hike in stunning surroundings and even camp on the most remote continent on Earth.
MS Roald Amundsen takes us safely back across the famous Drake Passage. We will continue our lecture series and recap our experiences of Antarctica in the Science Center. As we reach South America, we will attempt to land on historic Cape Horn before continuing towards the Chilean fjords.
Deep fjords and tall mountains plunging into the icy water await us in magnificent surroundings. This wild and remote area seems almost untouched by humans, full of isolated islands and hidden bays that harbour rich wildlife.
Puerto Natales is the gateway to Torres del Paine National Park, world-famous for the `Torres del Paine rock formations. Explore the park on our optional excursion to discover a stunning terrain, from the vast open steppe to rugged mountains topped by looming peaks.
This diversity of environments hosts a wide variety of a flora and fauna - llamas, pumas, and foxes in addition to more than 100 species of birds like the Andean condor.
After a cruise through Patagonian waters, the village of Puerto Edén in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park will enchant you. It is known for its geographical isolation, situated at the end of a deep fjord and surrounded by mountains. Its population of 250 includes the 15 remaining members of the Kawéskar people.
Our expedition cruise continues north through the fabled waters of Patagonia. As we sail through iconic Andean seascapes, enjoy the vistas of the magnificent natural expanse.
Set among windswept hills and lush vegetation, Castro is known for its colourful `palafitos´, wooden houses mounted on stilts along the water's edge, and the UNESCO Site Iglesia San Francisco. Nearby wide beaches are home to dozens of seabirds, penguins and sea lions.
As we make our way along the Pacific coast to Valparaiso, we will recap the highlights of the expedition cruise and scan for wildlife.
Sadly, every expedition must come to an end. And this expedition ends in the colourful and poetic city of Valparaíso. Take some time to explore this scenic town before your flight home.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Overnight in Santiago de Chile before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to airport in Santiago de Chile
- Economy flight from Santiago de Chile to Punta Arenas
- Transfer airport to ship in Punta Arenas including city tour and lunchbox
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry requirements for your travel.
MS Roald Amundsen
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten will add a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Roald Amundsen
- Meet our Expedition Team
- Landing sites in Antarctica
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board