untouched wilderness of Antarctica. Join us for an authentic experience of the Chilean coast before embarking on the great adventure of exploring the white continent with our ice-cruising, landing and other exciting activities.
One of the best ways of getting around Valparaiso is to ride the charming funiculars for sweeping views. Explore the port and piers to get a feel for Chile’s quirky seafaring side or explore the amazing Atacama Desert by adding it as a Pre-programme activity before embarking on MS Fram.
As we make our way along the Pacific coast, the Expedition Team will start their lecture programme to prepare you for the experiences ahead. Make sure to spend some time on deck to look out for wildlife.
Located on Isla Grande de Chiloé, Castro is set among windswept hills and is known for its colourful `palafitos´; wooden houses mounted on stilts. Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site Iglesia San Francisco and spot for dozens of seabird species, as well as penguins and sea lions.
IncludedCastro Walking TourWalk from pier to Plaza de Armas for a short visit and proceed to San Francisco church, the main Catholic church of Chiloé’s capital and rather than the typical style of the other churches of the island, it is Neo-Gothic style.
Castro - Dalcahue, Curaco de Velez & AchaoThis excursion provides a glimpse into the history of the small villages in the Castro-Delahue area. We will visit three towns by coach and ferry.
Trek at Chiloe National parkTrek through Chiloe National Park, where hiking trails take you to a great viewpoint with views over Cucao Lake and the Pacific Ocean. Learn about local flora and fauna and the history of the primitive settlements. We will also drive by the village of Cucao and hear about the tsunami that this town suffered in 1960.
We sail south through Patagonia to one of the world’s most remote and beautiful places: the southern province of Ultima Esperanza, meaning Last Hope. We voyage through iconic Andean seascapes and you have plenty of time to gaze out on the glorious expanse of undisturbed nature.
The isolated village of Puerto Edén in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park will enchant you, set at the end of a deep fjord and surrounded by high mountains. Its population of 250 includes the 15 remaining members of the Kawéskar tribe.
Puerto Natales is the gateway to the world-renowned Torres del Paine National Park, named for the famed rock formations of Torre Central, Sur and Norte. Explore the park on our optional excursion and get a taste of the stunning variety, from the vast open steppe to rugged mountain terrain topped by looming peaks.
Keep an eye out for llamas, pumas, and chilla foxes in addition to more than 100 species of birds like the Andean condor.
IncludedPuerto Natales - Scenes of Puerto NatalesThis excursion combines the highlights of the charming town of Puerto Natales with the interesting Milodón Cave, just a few kilometres away.
Torres del Paine - OvernightThis excursion includes an overnight inside the park - ‘the eighth wonder of the world' - with its impressive scenery and incomparable views. The Torres del Paine National Park covers an area over 242,000 hectares and features a rich geographical diversity of lakes, lagoons, waterfalls, glaciers, hills and peaks. There is always the possibility of seeing varieties of native wildlife in their natural habitat.
Puerto Natales: Torres del Paine National ParkVisit Torres del Paine National Park with stunning scenery and amazing views! Admire the natural beauty of this area, which offers great photo opportunities.
Torres del Paine – Grey HikeSpectacular views abound in every direction. Torres del Paine National Park covers an area of 242.242 hectares and features an outstanding combination of lakes, lagoons, waterfalls, glaciers, hills, and peaks, as well as the possibility to observe various kinds of wildlife in their natural habitat.
Puerto Natales - Hiking in Torres del PaineThis programme is designed to give you the best of both worlds. Explore Torres del Paine by both coach and foot. The eighth wonder of the world, Torres del Paine National Park, covers an area over 242.000 hectares and consists of a rich combination of lakes, lagoons, waterfalls, glaciers, hills and peaks. It is possible to observe many different forms of life here in their natural state.
This area´s natural beauty features deep fjords and tall mountains plunging into the icy water in a landscape that seems almost untouched by humans. Bask in the beautiful stillness as we cruise past isolated islands and hidden bays that form the unique natural gem of the Chilean landscape.
In the morning, we sail through the Beagle Channel, named after the ship that carried Charles Darwin on his voyage of discovery – HMS Beagle. If conditions allow, we attempt to land on Cape Horn – the southernmost tip of South America. Going ashore can be very difficult because of the sometimes-extreme weather in this area.
Next, we cross the Drake Passage, where two oceans meet, on our way to the most remote continent on Earth. On our way, you can learn a great deal about Antarctica’s fantastic wildlife and history from our Expedition Team.
This wilderness is full of overwhelming impressions on an impressive scale. Our expert captain and crew will work with the elements to create an itinerary designed to maximise your enjoyment of the amazing wildlife and landscape of Antarctica.
We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula with the aim of showing you the rich diversity of landscapes and wildlife on display in Antarctica.
At every opportunity, our Expedition Team will take you out for landings or ice cruising to get close and truly explore Antarctic beauty, while being sure not to disturb the wildlife.
You may also have the chance to kayak in untouched waters with icebergs floating by, take guided hikes to spectacular viewing points, or even spend the night in a tent. Every day will be different, and each carefully crafted by our Expedition Team to create lasting memories.
After five unforgettable days in Antarctica, MS Fram takes us safely back across the famous Drake Passage. The voyage from the Antarctic Peninsula to the southern tip of Argentina is roughly 950 km (600 mi) or 40 hours sailing time in good weather. During the voyage north, we will continue our lecture series and recap our experiences of Antarctica.
Sadly, every expedition must come to an end. When we reach Ushuaia, it is time to say goodbye. Your journey home continues with your flight to Buenos Aires, where you have a chance to extend your stay and enjoy our optional Land Adventure programs.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer in Ushuaia from ship to airport
- Economy flight from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- A la carte restaurant (for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry requirements for your travel.
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Passenger capacity||318 (200 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||11 647 T|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram brings on the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology to make her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in Polar Regions.
Some expedition cruises include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Castro Walking Tour
Castro - Dalcahue, Curaco de Velez & Achao
Castro - Trek at Chiloe National park
Puerto Natales - Scenes of Puerto Natales Included
Puerto Natales - Torres del Paine - Overnight
Puerto Natales - Torres del Paine National Park
Puerto Natales - Torres del Paine – Grey Hike
Puerto Natales - Hiking in Torres del Paine
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Santiago & Valparaiso: Pre-programme
Santiago de Chile - Pre-excursion: The Best of Santiago de Chile (20/21 and 21/22)
Ushuaia Post Excursion - Scenic drive and hiking at the end of the world (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Dinner & Tango Show (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Tigre Delta Tour (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires - Post-programme Iguazu Falls 20/21
Sailing with MS Fram
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Fram
- Meet our Expedition Teams
- Landing sites in Antarctica