Antarctica, Falklands, South Georgia – The Ultimate Expedition
Duration: 23 days
Ship: MS Fram
12 January 2021
2 February 2021
23 February 2021
Price from: 12190 € per personCheck prices and availability
- Enjoy ice-cruising and landings in the Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica
- See incredible wildlife in South Georgia, the `Galapagos of the Poles’
- Explore as far south as possible, well beyond the limit of ordinary cruises
- Chance to hike, camp and kayak in unforgettable landscapes
Your adventure starts with an overnight stay in Buenos Aires, the bustling capital of Argentina. We offer an optional city tour in the afternoon. Spend the evening at your leisure and discover the `Paris of South America´ for yourself.
The following day, you fly to Ushuaia. The flight leaves Buenos Aires early in the morning, allowing you a few hours to explore Ushuaia or to join an optional excursion to Tierra del Fuego National Park, before embarking on MS Fram as we sail through the scenic Beagle Channel.
We cross the open sea towards the Falkland Islands. Enjoy our in-depth lectures and keep an eye out for wildlife from deck.
The Falklands teem with wonders of nature, offering clear blue skies, seamless horizons and stunning white beaches. Here the sheep graze alongside immense colonies of albatross and penguins, while caracaras patrol overhead and geese forage at the water’s edge.
Fearless penguins waddle close, then continue on their way, giving you some great photo opportunities! Stanley, the islands’ capital, makes a wonderful starting point for the excursions we offer. We will be docked the whole day, giving you enough time to discover the town on foot.
We spend two days cruising to beautiful South Georgia. En route you can participate in lectures about the area’s wildlife, whaling and polar history.
Our Expedition Team is well-versed in every facet of South Georgia, from its geology and glaciology to the mating rituals of seals and the legends of the Norwegian whalers. One of the fascinating stories that will be told is that of Sir Ernest Shackleton, the men of the ill-fated Endurance, and their amazing feats of bravery.
Next, we explore the unique beauty and incomparable wildlife of South Georgia. The area´s history, incredible scenery and diversity of life make it a favourite locale for nature photographers.
South Georgia’s unique position inside the Antarctic ecosystem - yet outside the yearly sea ice - makes it a perfect home to tens of millions of breeding penguins, seals and seabirds, and our activities are designed to bring you close, without disturbing the wildlife.
We also hope to visit a whaling museum and to pay our respects at the grave of the great explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton.
As we sail, learn more about the wonders of Antarctica, focusing on the history, environment and wildlife of the continent. Watch out for the different Albatross species which follow our ship. We will cruise by the Washington Strait and Coronation Island before setting course towards Elephant Island.
Antarctica is different from anything else you will ever experience! As we approach, the air becomes crisper and colder, and you will begin to spot penguins and icebergs in the water. This is true wilderness, and our captain will work with the elements to design the very best itinerary for your expedition cruise.
We will attempt landings on several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula to show you the diversity of the incredible landscape and rich wildlife on display in this pristine wilderness.
On this special voyage, we hope to cross the Polar Circle at 66°33’ south, far beyond the limit of most cruises in Antarctica, venturing far into the areas that are permanently iced down and unnavigable in the winter.
Whenever opportunities arise, our Expedition Team will take you for landings and ice cruising to get close to the powerful beauty of Antarctica. In addition, we will invite you to kayak among the icebergs, and perhaps pitch tents ashore or take unforgettable hikes to explore the some of the most beautiful and remote places on the planet.
On our way back to civilisation, we will continue our lecture series and recap our experiences of Antarctica. The voyage from the Antarctic Peninsula to Ushuaia at the southern tip of Argentina is roughly 950 km (600 miles) or 40 hours of sailing time in good weather.
We make landfall in Tierra del Fuego. Your voyage ends in the world’s southernmost town, Ushuaia, and your journey back continues with a flight to lively Buenos Aires. Our Post-Programme offers great experiences if you wish to extend your trip from Buenos Aires.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Buenos Aires before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to airport in Buenos Aires
- Return economy flights Buenos Aires to Ushuaia
- Transfers in Ushuaia incl. an orientation tour
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- A la carte restaurant (for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry requirements for your travel.
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Passenger capacity||318 (200 in Antarctica)|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram brings on the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology to make her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in Polar Regions.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Buenos Aires - Pre-programme Wild Patagonia 20/21
Buenos Aires City Tour (20/21)
Buenos Aires Pre-excursion: Trendy Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires - Estancia Santa Susana (20/21)
Pre-excursion: Tierra del Fuego National Park in Ushuaia
Buenos Aires - Post-programme Iguazu Falls 20/21
Ushuaia - Scenic drive and hiking at the end of the world (20/21)
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Dinner & Tango Show
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Tigre Delta Tour
Sailing with MS Fram
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Fram
- Meet our Expedition Teams
- Landing sites in Antarctica