Alaska & British Columbia – Inside Passage, Bears and Aleutian Islands
Duration: 18 days
Ship: MS Roald Amundsen
1 August 2020
Price from: 14079 € per personCheck prices and availability
- Discover the unmatched magnificence of coastal Alaska
- Explore the fascinating Aleutian Islands, home of the Deadliest Catch
- Good chance to see Brown bears
- Experience the landscape in glorious autumn colours
- Day 1 Vancouver - Embarkation
- Day 2 At sea
- Day 3 Ketchikan, Alaska
- Day 4 Sitka
- Day 5 Icy Strait Point
- Day 6 Hubbard Glacier
- Day 7 At sea
- Day 8 Kodiak
- Day 9 Kinak Bay
- Day 10 At sea - Alaska Peninsula
- Day 11 Unga Village
- Day 12 Dutch Harbor
- Day 13 At sea
- Day 14 St. Paul
- Day 15 St. Matthew Island
- Day 16 Bering Sea
- Day 17 Nome - Disembarkation & Flight
- Day 18 Vancouver
Vibrant Vancouver boasts waterfront parks, nearby mountains with hiking trails in summer and skiing in winter, multitudes of cafes, shops, galleries, museums, and a diversity of cultural neighbourhoods to explore.
Ship: MS Roald Amundsen.
We sail north to Alaska through the narrow weaving channels and straits of Canada’s Inside Passage. Be on the lookout for dolphins, porpoise, orcas, and whales that frequent the protected inland waters.
Join our Expedition Team for fascinating lectures, spend time relaxing on board or meeting your fellow travellers.
Known as the salmon capital of the world, Ketchikan is a true frontier town, surrounded by towering mountains. Colourful houses on stilts from the gold rush era line the river bank. The city is home to one of the largest collections of standing totem poles and has strong ties to Tlingit culture.
IncludedKetchikan - Alaskan Lumberjack ShowLearn about Alaska's rich logging history through displays of strength and agility, action, excitement and laughter!
Ketchikan - Eagles, Raptors & Rainforest ExperienceJoin us for a guided rainforest trail walk to search for wildlife and experience a new presentation and exhibit about raptors, including a close encounter with a live bald eagle.
Ketchikan - Potlatch City Tour with Totem Bight State ParkExperience sightseeing in the beautiful coastal community of Ketchikan on a day tour complete with historic sites and city highlights.
Ketchikan Historic Walking TourGain a unique understanding of Ketchikan and its Tlingit culture on this guided walking tour of Alaska’s ‘First City’.
Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's TourStep aboard a ship with a fascinating and colourful history as a commercial crab fishing boat and hear about the amazing world of Alaskan crab fishing.
Ketchikan - Alaskan Fishing & Wilderness DiningExperience the thrill of fishing in Alaskan waters before dining on your catch of the day!
Ketchikan - Misty Fjords FlightseeingDiscover magnificent Misty Fjords National Monument in an impeccably maintained Alaskan bush floatplane.
Sitka is set among snowcapped mountains with rich wildlife all around, and even a volcano in sight. A former capital of Russian Alaska, the town is full of history, with a Russian Cathedral and historical buildings standing next to a forest full of totem poles.
IncludedSitka - Alaska Raptor CentreJoin us on a visit to the Alaska Raptor Center, which rehabilitates injured bald eagles and other birds of prey
Sitka Cultural DiscoveryExplore the historical highlights and heritage of Sitka, a former Russian capital city, on a unique, fully-narrated sightseeing journey that includes a tour through Sitka National Park and folk dancing presentation.
Sitka Kayak AdventureEnjoy a fully guided kayaking adventure exploring Sitka Sound’s spectacular scenery and marine life.
Sitka - Sea Otter, Raptors & BearsThis unforgettable tour provides the opportunity to experience all three of Sitka’s most popular wildlife viewing experiences.
Sitka - Wildlife Quest and Fin Island LodgeThe ultimate Alaska experience begins as soon as you board this expedition vessel in Sitka. Experience a magnificent scenic cruise followed by a delicious Alaskan feast!
Sitka - Alaska Zodiac Adventure & Fin Island LodgeExplore the waters and islands surrounding Sitka in a Zodiac and get a taste of real Alaska adventure before indulging a true Alaskan feast!
Land of Tlingit people, Icy Strait Point offers a glimpse into life in a native settlement. This welcoming community boasts houses adorned with intricate carvings, totem poles displaying stories of the clans, and colourful cafes, shops, and museum displays.
This waterway that hosts the Hubbard Glacier was named Disenchantment Bay by Spanish naval officer Alessandro Malaspina in 1792, when he was disappointed to discover it was not the Northwest Passage, as he had hoped. We trust that you will be enchanted, maybe even spellbound, by the beautiful icescape here.
A day at sea means you can join the lectures by the Expedition Team, spend time on deck or in the Panorama Lounge with fellow travellers as we sail towards Alaska’s Panhandle.
When visiting bustling Kodiak, take a walk to Fort Abercrombie State Historic Park to combine history with wildlife spotting. Stop for a while on the cliff edge of Miller Point and watch the sea for the chance to see whales.
IncludedKodiak - Town Package with MuseumEnjoy a stroll through the city of Kodiak, home to the USA’s largest Coast Guard base, and see the Russian Orthodox Church and Seminary.
Kodiak Sightseeing & Wildlife CruiseWelcome aboard one of our comfortable and well-equipped sightseeing tour boats and enjoy an extensive expedition around the Kodiak archipelago - an opportunity unique to the ‘Last Frontier’.
Kodiak & Afognak Island FlightseeingJoin us for an amazing aerial experience and the best way to see the majestic Kodiak Archipelago.
Katmai National Park´s Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes is a dramatic volcanic landscape, with mountains rising to almost 915 meters (3,000 feet). Here we hope to find brown bears as they forage along the shore for clams, and lunch on berries or fish in the clear running waters of the mountain streams.
Enjoy a day at sea as we sail east along the south side of the Alaskan Peninsula. Our Expedition Team will present the plans for the upcoming days.
Unga Village is an eerie ghost town with picturesque village ruins. Settled by Aleuts in 1833, subsistence fishing proved insufficient to support the community, which moved to Sand Point in 1969. Today, a collection of wooden buildings is all that remains, surrounded by a carpet of pink louseworts.
As we sail towards Dutch Harbor, you will see Mount Makushin, a steaming volcano almost 6,000 feet high. The popular TV show `Deadliest Catch´ is based here, featuring local fishing crews. Stroll around the town, stop in at the Museum of the Aleutians and take a look at the local Russian Orthodox Church.
IncludedDutch Harbor - Hop on / Hop off Around the TownVisit the famous fishing town of Dutch Harbor, the scene of a World War II battle in June 1942.
Dutch Harbour - Bunker Hill HikeJoin us for an enjoyable guided hike to the top of Bunker Hill for spectacular views and rich history!
MS Roald Amundsen continues north through the Bering Sea, from the Aleutian Islands and towards our next stop of St. Paul. The Expedition Team will prepare you for our upcoming destinations and continue their lecture series.
This area is a bird lovers’ paradise! Horned and Tufted puffins are found here, along with the rare Red-legged kittiwake. The 400 islanders descend from Aleut slaves forcibly moved to the island by Russian fur traders in 1780’s. Today, the seal population is thriving, around half the world’s northern fur seal population live in the waters around the island.
As we step ashore on the black sand and gravel beaches of St. Matthew Island, we will be the only humans on the isle. St. Matthew has been a nature reserve since 1909 and is home to countless nesting seabirds as well as the native St. Matthew island vole and the Arctic fox.
Enjoy a relaxing last day on board! Take time on deck to look out for whales. Onboard, the Expedition Team will recap your voyage and you can spend time chatting with new friends, or just relax and watch the world sail by!
In 1898, gold was discovered in Nome, at nearby Anvil Creek, and within a year, 10,000 men had arrived to seek their fortune. Our ship expedition ends in this colourful gold rush town. Transfer to the airport and flight to Vancouver for an overnight stay.
Enjoy the sights of this lively city or extend your stay with our Post-Programme before you fly home.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer from ship to airport in Nome
- Economy flight from Nome to Vancouver
- Transfer airport to hotel in Vancouver
- One hotel night in Vancouver after the voyage incl. breakfast
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich programme of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Visa for US and Canada (ESTA/ETA) required - for details please see Visa information in our Entry requirements
- This cruise is not suitable for guests using wheelchairs due to the possibility of using tender boats during embarkation or disembarkation.
MS Roald Amundsen
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Some expedition cruises may include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Ketchikan - Alaskan Lumberjack Show
Ketchikan - Potlatch City Tour with Totem Bight State Park
Ketchikan - Ketchikan Historic Walking Tour
Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour
Ketchikan – Alaskan Fishing & Wilderness Dining
Ketchikan – Misty Fjords Flightseeing
Sitka - Alaska Raptor Centre
Sitka - Sitka Cultural Discovery
Sitka Kayak Adventure
Sitka - Sea Otter, Raptors & Bears
Sitka - Wildlife Quest and Fin Island Lodge
Sitka – Alaska Zodiac Adventure & Fin Island Lodge
Kodiak - Town Package with Museum
Kodiak - Kodiak Sightseeing & Wildlife Cruise
Kodiak - Kodiak & Afognak Island Flightseeing
Dutch Harbor - Hop on / Hop off Around the Town
Dutch Harbor - Bunker Hill Hike
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Rocky Mountaineer and Vancouver: Pre-Programme
Whistler & Sea to Sky Gondola: Post-Excursion
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Roald Amundsen
- Meet our Expedition Teams
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board