Formalities and travel documents for The Coastal Express voyages
Thank you for choosing to travel with The Coastal Express. Please take a few minutes to familiarise yourself with the required formalities and to review your travel documents.
All guests checking in at The Coastal Express terminal or onboard our ships have to present a valid passport or government-approved ID Card. Please keep your ID at hand when boarding. Boarding will be denied if a valid ID is not presented at check-in. This applies to all guests. Guests planning to extend their journey and visit Spitsbergen, Svalbard, are asked to take their passports with them.
EU nationals should obtain up-to-date advice on passport and visa requirements from the Embassy, High Commission or Consulate of your destination or country(ies) through which you are travelling.
We do not accept any responsibility if you cannot travel, or incur any other loss because you have not complied with any passport, visa, immigration requirements or health formalities. You agree to reimburse us in relation to any fines or other losses which we incur as a result of your failure to comply with any passport, visa, immigration requirements or health formalities.
For the most up-to-date guidance on travel to Norway, and the latest colour-coded map for quarantine requirements, it’s essential to check the Norwegian Institute for Public Health website.
COVID-19 travel map
Use our interactive map to keep updated on what’s open for travel and get details on any potential entry requirements.
Whenever you sail aboard The Norwegian Coastal Express, whether for 12 days or a few hours, your safety is our highest priority. A range of measures is in place, designed to reduce the spread of Covid-19 and other contagious respiratory diseases. We’ll constantly update these practices based on the latest guidelines from the Norwegian health authorities.
You can read about the health and sanitary measures of our airline partners on their dedicated web pages.
There are more than 70 activities to bring you even closer to coastal Norway. Try a range of seasonal experiences both at sea and on shore with our optional excursions:
Not sure what to pack for your trip? We have drawn up a packing list for you, suitable for all seasons along the Norwegian coast.
Information about scheduled sailings and adjustments to the sailing plan can be found here:
Any other questions? Read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Your travel documents
You should have received these documents from us:
- Itinerary (for your information only)
- Transfer vouchers (if transfers have been booked)
- Norway/Sognefjord in a Nutshell tickets (if booked)
- Pre/Post programme information (if booked)
You can also view and/or download:
- Destination Information (PDF) - In this document, you will find important information about things you need to do before you go, what we recommend you pack, the experience when on board, and what to expect.
- Arrival-Departure Information (PDF) 2022 - In this document, you will find important information about your flights and our transfers in Norway.
- Norwegian Coastal Express luggage tag - Click the link to open the luggage tag document. Then, click the download button. A PDF will either open in a browser or save to your computer. Click the print icon and follow the instructions. Print luggage tag. Please add this to every piece of checked luggage.
At Hurtigruten Norwegian Coastal Express, we are committed to sustainable travel and always seek to minimize the negative impact of our operation. Therefore, we also distribute our travel documents digitally.
For all services booked with Hurtigruten, no printed confirmation is required. You will need to present only a valid passport or official ID card for check-in. You do not require vouchers as proof of purchase for any hotels, shore excursions or voyages you have booked with Hurtigruten.
If you have booked flights with us, you do not need paper tickets. Your boarding passes will be issued at the airport upon check-in. Please refer to the Arrival-Departure Information guide for more information.