Our Northern Lights Promise
For those who have your heart set on witnessing the swirling glow of the aurora borealis, we make you a promise no one can match:
Sail the Norwegian coast with us during the auroral season between 26 September and 31 March on a voyage of 11 days or more. If the Northern Lights do not occur within sight of your ship during your voyage, we will give you a 6-day southbound or 7-day northbound Original Coastal Express Classic Voyage free of charge*
*Please see terms and conditions below
Find your voyage
Why we can make this promise
Where we sail on the Norwegian coast is directly beneath the Auroral Zone, an area of consistent and heightened Northern Lights activity.
Our ships act as floating, mobile observatories that move between areas where there is a lot of cloud cover to places where it’s clear skies and perfect conditions to see the aurora when it appears.
How we help you to see the aurora
All the cabins and suites on our ships have an ‘Northern Lights alert’ which will tell you whenever we spot sightings of the aurora, so you can rush to your window or outside to catch them.
Our crew will announce occurrences of the aurora to your cabin or suite at any time of the day or night. You can switch these announcements on and off as you prefer.
Northern Light Promise Terms & Conditions
Subject to the following 'Terms and Conditions' in 2023/24
- This offer applies to all new bookings of voyages of 11 days or more along the Norwegian coast aboard The Original Coastal Express and The North Cape Express. It applies to North Cape Express voyages departing between 26 September 2023 and 31 March 2024 and The Original Coastal Express voyages departing between 1 October 2023 and 31 March 2024.
- A Northern Lights occurrence is defined as a sighting from the ship which is recorded by the ship’s deck officers and which is announced to passengers on board. An occurrence can last anything from a few minutes to a matter of hours, and the ships decision as to whether the Northern Lights occurred is final.
- We announce occurrences of the Northern Lights on board the ship and you have the option of announcements direct to your cabin or suite. We hope that you will experience seeing the Northern Lights whilst on your voyage with us of 11 days or more, but we cannot be held responsible if you don’t.
- We promise that in the event of there being no Northern Lights occurrence as defined above, you will receive a 6 or 7-day Original Coastal Express Classic Voyage, departing between 1 October 2024 and 31 March 2025 in an unspecified inside twin cabin on a full-board basis free of charge. You may upgrade to another grade of cabin subject to additional costs and availability.
- We reserve the right to withdraw or amend the offer at any time. Please check at the time of booking as to the current status of the offer. The offer must be claimed and booked within 28 days from your return date. A choice of departure dates will be given.
- The offer excludes flights, transfers, all onboard expenses, excursions, and luggage handling. The offer does not apply to re-scheduled or cancelled cruises. Bookings are non-transferable, non-changeable, and have no cash value.